Author Topic: curry garden Cambridge  (Read 1552 times)

Offline acrabat

• Chef
    • View Profile
curry garden Cambridge
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Back home from holidays now so can write a review on a keyboard instead of a phone. My last review was for the Saffron Desi in York which was a poor experience. I am pleased to say however that the curry garden in Cambridge was a massive improvement. It was a very traditional experience, only missing flock wallpaper to make it complete. Excellent service, clean cutlery, hot tasty food, cold jug of water. The starters of popaddoms, dips and pakora were generous and very tasty. i really liked the pakora, it was very light and quite unlike a lot of the solid stodgy stuff I get in most of my local places. The mains were a bit of a let down, they tasted very like my own efforts on an off night. That is not to say they were bad but I always expect a restaurant curry to be superior to my own, after all thats what they do, all day every day, they should be good. The other three members of my party were happier than I was with the mains and raved about how good they were. The price was very reasonable given the tasty food and excellent service.
I could not say this was the best in Cambridge since it was the only place I tried there but it was nice. I had asked a bunch of punters (literally)  down by the Cam were to get a decent curry and this place was their recommendation.
Top class : no
Satisfy curry pangs: yes

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: curry garden Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:49 AM »
Hi Acrabat,

If you are going to stay around Cambridge, I have some good recommendations.

1. Meghna on Victoria Road (Restaurant/TA) (I've never reviewed them, but their chef/food is the benchmark by which I judge all indian food and restaurants)
   recommend trying their tandoori dishes, particularly the salmon and prawn tandoori,  tikka jalfrezi, bombay aloo, goan garlic chilli chicken, salmon tikka, korai, etc
2. Pipasha on Newmarket Road (Restaurant/TA) (It's a bit more upstreet, a fantastic experience.) Look my review around here.
3. Renus on Milton Road (TA) -- very good portions, fantastic people. Look my review around here, well rounded up.
4. Royal Spice on Victoria Ave. (TA) -- Fantastic jalfrezi, tikka shatkora,fantastic bombay aloo. The chef and their delivery man, both from bengal, are fantastic people.
5. Taste of Bengal on Chesterton (TA) -- Tried twice, it has that real good vibe of BIR, but I had only 2 experiences with them so I can't rate it too high. Jalfrezi in both times.

As for curry garden and gandhi on regent st, don't bother. I have been to them twice each and the food was barely acceptable. 

Avoid:
tandoori palace (rubbish food, they used to offer a very good deal when they were out of town, where they sold 3 curries + 3 pilaus + 3 naans + plus 1litre of coke for 20

©2024 Curry Recipes