Author Topic: How to make Indian Kashmiri Masala Paste, one you're not supposed to know about!  (Read 24202 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Cant understand why anyone would use any Patak paste anyway. Deffo not old school BIR in my humble opinion

Here's two reasons why I use it:

1. It's a key ingredient in Blade's recipe for chicken tikka - probably the best recipe I've ever tried from this forum.

2. Two nights ago I 'used up' some Patak's balti paste which I had in the fridge. It resulted in one of the best curries I've ever made. Yes, I was surprised, too, so it's back in my good books.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
I went through an anti patak/pastes period. I was convinced balti paste, for example, was the work of the devil. But with practice I think you can get excellent results with all of them.  It can go wrong very quickly if too much is added though.  I suppose it's just personal choice really.  But where do you draw the line?  If ready-made pastes are not acceptable, what about all the jars of pickles (naga, mango, lime, etc.) and chutneys, which are integral to BIR cooking.  Ready made yoghurt? Cans of tomato?

Rob  :)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
I went through an anti patak/pastes period. I was convinced balti paste, for example, was the work of the devil. But with practice I think you can get excellent results with all of them.  It can go wrong very quickly if too much is added though.  I suppose it's just personal choice really.  But where do you draw the line?  If ready-made pastes are not acceptable, what about all the jars of pickles (naga, mango, lime, etc.) and chutneys, which are integral to BIR cooking.  Ready made yoghurt? Cans of tomato?

I know what youre saying Rob but I think these pastes are partly to blame for the demise of good birs insomuch as they make it easier for inexperienced chefs to produce "curries".

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
Agree with that Mick.  Loads of TAs near to me (over 40 within delivery range) and most produce terrible curries, obviously thrown together carelessly, and loaded with jar pastes. It is a problem.  A few of the quality chefs I've met refer to people working as "gravy chefs".  There are several types.  A typical gravy chef would like to make a decent curry, does his best, but has little or no idea how to do it.   There are also individuals who are referred to as "dosey" gravy chefs, who can't cook, and really couldn't care less.  Finally, there is the "dodgy" gravy chef. This is a restaurant owner's worst nightmare. Can't cook, doesn't care, and won't even clean the kitchen properly.  A TA owner told me that he had employed several gravy chefs in the past, as he struggled to assemble a decent team.  He reckoned he'd soon know when he'd got "a crap chef", as he would need to double his order of onion bags from the cash & carry, and the tandoori chef would somehow have ran out of masala pastes.  Complaints from customers/reduced trade, would follow. Another problem, apparently, is the highly skilled, typically older chef, whose had enough of it all, and changes into a gravy chef.

I think at the moment though I'd be stuck without pataks tandoori curry paste as, like George, I'm a fan of blades' recipe.  I have another recipe to try out, but this actually involves more pastes  When I started out cooking at home I resorted to jar pastes because my curries lacked flavour/taste. Not so much an issue these days and I haven't used any pastes (in a curry) for quite some time, but still would like to experiment with them. Chewy mentioned a balt paste/naga combo recently, for example.

Balti paste is a funny one though.  From my work at a TA it is does seem that curry punters, in general, love the stuff.  The "balti" is still one of the most popular ranges of dishes on the menu. 

I am reliably informed that 1 rounded tsp of pataks balti paste, or less, is the optimum dosage, per curry.

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Apologies for going off topic slightly but has anyone got the link for 'blade's recipe for chicken tikka' ... I can't find it  ???

Cheers,
Ken

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
Apologies for going off topic slightly but has anyone got the link for 'blade's recipe for chicken tikka' ... I can't find it  ???

Cheers,
Ken

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,874.0.html

I'm going to do my next batch with this. 27 pages of rave reviews can't be wrong.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile

Cheers,
Ken

I'm going to do my next batch with this. 27 pages of rave reviews can't be wrong.

Going off-topic, It's very good, but take it that the marketing on the topic title ("better than birs") helped so many people trying it. There are others which are very good, too, but they seem to be living in the shadow of blade's. I prefer IFFU's tikka myself. In fact, I have a batch marinading for over  24hours, waiting for tomorrow's party. Mickdabass is probably a close contender. Dip's had a good score in the tikka tests, IIRC.

Offline Robert

• Chef
    • View Profile

Cheers,
Ken

On the theme of avoiding Pataks paste, there's a  variant on Blade's original recipe which I always use that replaces the paste with a tbs of Raja tandoori powder and a tsp of tamarind concentrate.

I think it was Blade himself that suggested it but I can't find the original post. Seriously good though, got a batch of boneless thighs marinating in the fridge right now.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Very interesting indeed Chris.I understood that many BIR chefs make their own garam masala but I've never come across one that makes his own kashmiri masala paste.I guess this sort of thing makes the difference between an average BIR and an exceptional one.I presume that the recipe is one that your chef uses and will feature in the forthcoming book?? I'm hoping that he uses a made from scratch red masala paste as well!!  Any update on when the book is ready??  I'm planning on cooking a big curry feast soon and I'm hoping that the book will be out in time for it!!

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks for the kind words guys. I know some of you are chomping at the bit to get this book, i can't wait to get it out there. I want the content to be right before i set a date.

©2024 Curry Recipes