Author Topic: Yadgar Kebab House  (Read 9842 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Yadgar Kebab House
« on: August 19, 2013, 02:47 PM »

Going off piste, I would recommend Yadgar in Calder Street Govanhill. Don't be put off by the naf shop front & seriously iffy area.
Its the one of only a few places in Glasgow I've seen Asians buy Asian takeaway. The Lamb karahi is off the scale flavourwise.
Prices seem higher than they maybe should though.

Tried this place a few weeks back. I was really looking forward to this one but sadly the flavours were lacking in the curry as with all of the scottish curries ive tried so far. I never had a problem when i lived in London. It didnt really matter where i bought a curry, they were always great.

I had aloo tikki and shami kebabs, both were very good but the shami's had an odd flavour to them.
The fish pakora was excellent. Very fresh and delicately spiced.
Aloo Gobi was ok, nothing special.
The rice was so strong, you would think you were eating inside a basmati rice mill!  :P I loved it, but would imagine it would be too strong for some.
Aloo paratha and naans were very good but I came for the curry and that was disappointing.
I had their famous Goshat Karahi.

Overall, everything was very good and tasted fresh. I would definitely go back because it has been the best of the bunch by a good mile.

*Recommended*.

Cheers, Frank.  :)

p.s. one thing i have noticed though with Scottish curries is the dominant flavour of ginger. Maybe thats a Punjabi thing?  :-\
So far, the best flavour ive come across was from the spicy chicken and chips from Shaheds, union st.  ::)
Kebabish Original next i think.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:28 PM by DalPuri »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Yadgar Kebab House
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:54 PM »
The rice was so strong, you would think you were eating inside a basmati rice mill!  :P I loved it, but would imagine it would be too strong for some.

What exactly is "strong" in this context, Frank ?
** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:16 PM »

What exactly is "strong" in this context, Frank ?
** Phil.

The strongest tasting basmati flavour you will Ever eat!  ;D
Never had anything like it, almost intoxicating.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:31 PM by DalPuri »

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:29 PM »
@ Frank, i can replicate the spicy chicken and chips 110% from Shaheeds :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 03:44 PM »
@ Frank, i can replicate the spicy chicken and chips 110% from Shaheeds :)

1 heaped teaspoon garlic paste
1 heaped teaspoon ginger paste
1 heaped teaspoon tomato puree
1 heaped tablespoon green chilli paste ( green chillies blitzed with a little oil to form the paste )
1 large pinch of dry methi leaves
turn up the heat and add 1 chefs spoon of base ( no oil ) as enough in the base
cook on high heat and keep scaping back until its a thick dry like paste then add another chefs spoon of base and the cooked diced chicken.
cook for another few mins then serve ontop of the chips

Their curries are crap but the spicy chicken n chips is nice as long as u like spicy stuff obviously

hmmmm interesting...

If the spicy chicken and chips uses just a basic curry sauce as per your recipe (you forgot the raw onions on top  ;)) then where do you think their curries fall short?
Because the flavour must come from their gravy, or perhaps the pre-cooked chicken, or even the blitzed chillies?

Or do you think that your gravy or PCC is superior and that you have reached an exact taste with fewer ingredients than shaheds spicy chicken and chips?

Or,, is it just that combination of curry sauce, chips and raw onion that makes a perfect marriage?

p.s. I hope that makes sense.  :P

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 06:04 PM »
I use BB1 3.5 KG version of his base, ( what do u mean raw onions? ) shaheeds doesn't have raw onions on their spicy chicken and chips? I get this quite often as work in st Vincent street in the city, their curries are too oily that's why I don't like them and they all taste similar, that's why I don't rate them, but if you follow my recipe and make BB1's base which is really easy to make then you will also be able to recreate it with ease

Garry

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 07:07 PM »
( what do u mean raw onions? ) shaheeds doesn't have raw onions on their spicy chicken and chips?

I think they were part of a salad along with white cabbage.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 07:33 PM »
I always get mines to takeaway as eat in work on my lunch, so maybe they give u that when u sit in I am not sure ,they put the chips in a container with the spicy chicken on top so maybe they give u that when u sit in I am not sure, but if you really liked it then go ahead and recreate it, very easy to do, for the chicken I just diced a chicken breast after it was cooked.  have you ever tried the Punjabi at charing cross? its fantastic

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 08:00 PM »
I always get mines to takeaway as eat in work on my lunch, so maybe they give u that when u sit in I am not sure ,they put the chips in a container with the spicy chicken on top so maybe they give u that when u sit in I am not sure, but if you really liked it then go ahead and recreate it, very easy to do, for the chicken I just diced a chicken breast after it was cooked.  have you ever tried the Punjabi at charing cross? its fantastic

I had a takeaway too, the mrs picked it up for me. It was all in one container including a salad of mostly onion and cabbage. I just assumed thats how it comes.
Not tried the Punjabi as of yet. Had a nose at the menu in the window a few weeks back but didnt go in.
I will do soon though.   :)

©2024 Curry Recipes