Author Topic: Karahi  (Read 8030 times)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Karahi
« on: August 23, 2013, 05:02 AM »
Raj taught me this, I have had this twice a week since he taught me, so time to share....it's really good, but not BIR.

- 1-2 tbsp ghee
- 2 dried chopped kashmiri chillies
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Ajowan seeds
- some sliced garic (couple of cloves)
- 1 large finely diced onion
- 2 largish finely diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp each mixed powder, curry powder, tandoori masala, turmeric, coriander powder, salt, chilli powder (to your taste)
- Precooked meat/veg/paneer
- A few sliced chillies
- Chopped coriander stalks
- Pre-cooked onions and peppers
- Pinch garam masala
- Water or base

-In a wok, melt the ghee and add the seeds and chopped dried chillies
- Add the onion/garlic and cook well constantly stirring (should be well cooked but not burnt)
- Add tomatoes and cook right down
- Add powders and cook (add a little water if necessary)
- Add pre-cooked meat or veg or paneer/prawns/fish...whatever
- Add some chopped coriander stalks, sliced chillies, and some pre-cooked onions and peppers
- Traditionally now would be the time to add some meat stock, but we add a litlle curry base and heat through instead, coz we don't keep any stock.
- Add a pinch of garam masala and a tsp or so of your favourite pickle/naga pickle etc.
- Garnish with plenty of chopped coriander

I hope some of you try this, it really is very tasty. The individual flavours seem to jump out at you. Be good to get peoples opinions.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Karahi
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 06:58 AM »
Thanks Mick
I will be giving this ago
Cheers MT

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Finally got to make this Mick and I'm sorry i hadn't tried it earlier
And that goes for a lot of recipes on here that drift passed with out trying
Which is my fault entirely  :(
Let that be a lesson to you all  :)
Back to the dish  It was a good full flavoured curry I was worried about the Ajowan seeds being overpowering but no
It is hard to say why this curry was good no ginger no methi but like all good curries a good round flavour.
As we say one for the book
Cheers mick my daughter says thanks too

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:43 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it mate.

It's a very forgiving recipe. You can add ginger/methi and it will only improve things.

the basic onion/tomato fry up is a traditional base sauce (gravy) from which many different recipes can be made.

General rule of thumb is double the amount of tomatoes to onion ratio, or it will be too sweet. Don't be shy with the ghee or the salt. 8)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Thanks for the tips
My two sons have just polished off the rest  :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:56 AM »
Hi Mick,

I love a good Karahi and have just copied your recipe to Word, so I can mail it to my account at the UNI.

I'll give this a go over the next few days and post some pictures :)

Good work :)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 03:33 PM »
Hope it lives up to your expectations mate.

As a side note, just before serving add a tsp or so of kasoori methi rubbed between the fingers, along with the coriander.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Made this with king prawn tonight for dinner - just for me, mind you, as the the chilli content was far too much for my good lady's refined palate.

Even though I'd transcribed the recipe and printed it out, by the time I got to the list of powdered spice, I had to refer back to this thread just in case the list of spices referred to the composition of the mix powder. It didn't, of course, and I needn't have worried, because the dish turned out to be...

...absolutely fantastic! :)

The flavours were tremendous, and there was no competition between them - everything complemented everything else. And the texture of the seeds interspersed with the rice was brilliant - not to mention the mini-explosions of spice hitting the palate every time a seed was crunched.

I was initially concerned about the heat levels - dried Kashmiri chillies, mix powder, curry powder, chilli powder, fresh chillies, Mr Naga - but it all combined to give a great heat and a nice, comforting mouthfeel. Very satisfying indeed - not nippy at all, but pleasantly warm, welcome and long-lasting.

I used Abdul Mohed's 8-Spice mix powder (my standard nowadays) and the Zaal Restaurant base (also my standard now), but otherwise, I made the dish to spec.

Thanks to Aussie Mick - this recipe has made it to my regulars list - no wonder you eat it twice a week, mate, it's excellent!

Oh, and, as always, I made double portions, so I've something to look forward to tomorrow night :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:20 PM by Naga »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Looking Good Naga :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Thanks, Bob! It's a very good recipe which I would recommend to anyone. Spot on, Raj and Mick! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes