Author Topic: Where did that heat come from  (Read 2729 times)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Where did that heat come from
« on: August 24, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Just put together a Saturday special.

What has confused me is that with the exception of two green chillis seeded and chopped ( strength known ) I did not add any chilli powder or anything else with heat potential.  Used normal mix powder but did add a tbs of basaar. Used basaar before and not had the heat ( to my knowledge anyway ). Does anyone know different re the basaar as I cannot for the life of me work out why what was intended to be a fragrant yet mildish curry ( for others ) has ended up as something almost vinders in strength.  Not a problem aas I will happily eat it but not what was intended.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Where did that heat come from
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:55 PM »
RubyDoo

Check the basaar powder - give the powder a taste - yep its not cooked in a curry - you wont get ill - i check all of mine - then you will know

best, Rich

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 02:05 PM »
RubyDoo

Check the basaar powder - give the powder a taste - yep its not cooked in a curry - you wont get ill - i check all of mine - then you will know

best, Rich

Spot on Rich. It IS the basaar. Al Noor.  Fiery gear!!!! My fault for thinking it may be like Raj mild madras or similar.  Have used it in gravy before too but never noticed the strength. Doh!!  Always something new to learn!!

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 02:19 PM »
I ALWAYS give the powders a taste even the powders i make up - ive been caught out before and ended up with phall strength that should have been a medium curry - the good thing is i got to eat the mistake.

best, Rich

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 02:53 PM »
This rings a bell  :o ::)

Al Noor Basaar, bought this a few years ago, when I was exploring Indian spice mixes
and prompted by the shopkeeper whose home was Kashmir.
He promoted it as very good and what they always used at home.

What a disaster, not only has this got a high chilli content, which you wouldn't expect,
but the chilli used has a very sharp/harsh flavour which overpowers the whole dish.

I was really annoyed as I wasted a pan full of extremely good Chicken Tikka.  ::)

A lesson learnt for me, in that not all spice mixes, especially Indian/Pakistani, are suitable for my quick Restaurant style curry cooking.
Basaar may well work, if cooking Apna style, i.e. on the bone for a few hours. (Traditional).

cheers Chewy

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Basaar may well work, if cooking Apna style, i.e. on the bone for a few hours. (Traditional).

Works equally well as a chilli substitute in many BIR recipes, adding additional layers of flavour.
** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 03:31 PM »

Instructions video for basaar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Ow5Sf2zZ8

©2024 Curry Recipes