Author Topic: Chicken Bhuna and Bombay Aloo  (Read 20199 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Bhuna and Bombay Aloo
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:43 PM »
I really need to sort out my camera skills lol - was set to close-up but hey!

Bombay Aloo a la Garp

And Chicken Bhuna with potatoes

Out-of-focus picture doesn't do the Bhuna justice. Intense flavour from several reductions - lovely.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Bhuna and Bombay Aloo
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Looking good.  Certainly getting me in the mood for my chicken dhansak a little later.  Which recipes did you use for the bombay and the bhuna?

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:15 PM »
It certainly looks bhuna'd, not like most of the wet looking dishes that get posted.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:16 PM »
Bhuna was a throw-together to be honest. The usual spices and a bit of base at high heat to thicken it up.

The Bombay was par-boiled potatoes (pinch of turmeric and salt) left to cool. Then gently fry a finely chopped onion til softened - add mustard, nigella, fennel and onion seeds and a good tsp of aesafetida. Add potatoes, coriander leaf (I use dried) and a tablespoon or two of water. Add a splash of lemon juice before serving :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Thanks Geezah.

To be honest, I normally prefer 'wet' dishes. I like soaking up the sauce with bread. This was a change for me.

I enjoyed it - the flavour intensified with the reduction and was really nice.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 10:53 PM »
Thanks Geezah.

To be honest, I normally prefer 'wet' dishes. I like soaking up the sauce with bread. This was a change for me.

After having 2 trips to India this year and eating home cooked Indian food I realize how much sauce us English like with our curry.
... and how we like our naan breads doughy, compared with the Indians much prefering chapattis.

I have since changed my outlook of what I look for in a dish as the traditional style is far superior to the BIR.

I still cook BIR and enjoy it, but when it comes to bhuna & rogan josh style dishes, the BIR is nowhere close to how it should be.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 11:03 PM »
Thanks Geezah.

After having 2 trips to India this year and eating home cooked Indian food I realize how much sauce us English like with our curry.
... and how we like our naan breads doughy, compared with the Indians much prefering chapattis.

I have since changed my outlook of what I look for in a dish as the traditional style is far superior to the BIR.

I still cook BIR and enjoy it, but when it comes to bhuna & rogan josh style dishes, the BIR is nowhere close to how it should be.

Firstly, I'm not English so can't speak for Englandshire. Nor have I been to India - but this is a BIR forum :)

Offline Kylie1969

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 01:35 AM »
That looks delicious Garp :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Not sure if good photos would improve the look of this, reminds me more like a corned beef hash with mustard seeds. ;D
Take your word for it that it tastes 'lovely' though. ;)

Nigella and onion seeds, thats a curious mix  :D
cheers Chewy

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 04:56 PM »
Thanks for your kind words Chewy. A bit harsh I think, having looked at a few of your efforts.

As for nigella/onion - they are the same thing? Want to do some research and come back?

Corned beef bhuna - now there's an idea :)

©2024 Curry Recipes