Author Topic: Struggling with base taste  (Read 8362 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling with base taste
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 04:46 PM »
What seems to work best for me is a tip from Bengali Bob's: cook it for as long as the recipe calls for and leave it resting overnight. The onions (and other veg) will continue cooking until the heat dissipates and the fibres will have tenderised further. This is particularly good if you cooked in a pressure cooker, as it keeps the heat for longer, but I reckon BB does not use one. It took me 3-4 mins whizzing it with a stick blender vs my norm of 15-20mins til right consistency.

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 05:21 PM »
What seems to work best for me is a tip from Bengali Bob's: cook it for as long as the recipe calls for and leave it resting overnight. The onions (and other veg) will continue cooking until the heat dissipates and the fibres will have tenderised further. This is particularly good if you cooked in a pressure cooker, as it keeps the heat for longer, but I reckon BB does not use one. It took me 3-4 mins whizzing it with a stick blender vs my norm of 15-20mins til right consistency.

How timely and apt Goncalo.  I have just finished cooking CA 5 litre base. I was just about to dint the pan in cold water to speed up the cooling process before blending, but I think I'll leave it until later now ;)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 05:34 PM »
And I've got a pan of Chewy's base on as well.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 05:47 PM »

How timely and apt Goncalo.  I have just finished cooking CA 5 litre base. I was just about to dint the pan in cold water to speed up the cooling process before blending, but I think I'll leave it until later now ;)

Glad it was timely and apt rshome123! Enjoy your new CA base.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:02 PM by goncalo »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Hope you're having a good holiday Gonc.

Seriously   

Taking any pics of Spanish Indian cuisine?

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Thanks, haven't had a Spanish curry yet. I'll keep you posted if I do.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 06:58 PM »
Sorry, thought you'd posted about being in a restaurant there which had five stars on Trip Advisor?

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 07:45 PM »
Sorry, thought you'd posted about being in a restaurant there which had five stars on Trip Advisor?

That was how the post read and it was to highlight how I would love a good curry right now, except, the one I found has been rated as non-BIR by 3 reviewers on TA. It shouldn't come to you as surprise that you are in a curry forum?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Notice that the post has now been edited lol.

I don't really care - just trying to be nice.

Have a nice holiday and try not to lie :)

©2024 Curry Recipes