Author Topic: Curry Wars  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Curry Wars
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:19 PM »
Oh dear - what is going on?

Everyone is leaving - people are slagging other people off (and then leaving).

Folk are changing sides faster than a Lib-Dem in a coalition!!!

I have been in many forums and it's always the same. When you get many people together (especially over the internet) there will, inevitably, be some with large egos. When certain large egos come together it can only lead to disaster. It would appear that the egos have landed and have been thrown together in a BIR-like Large Hadron Collider. We haven't found the Higgs-Boson particle yet but we may have discovered a few Big-Morons.

What is left here? With most of the more vocal contributors announcing themselves in 'the other place'?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Wars
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Have I missed something? War? I haven't noticed anything going much beyond a difference of opinion, which must be good, given it's allowed here, but not so much on a few other forums as anyone who changes allegiance is likely to find out, especially if (as you put it) they are amongst the more vocal contributors.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Garp,

Remember this comment where you blatantly said my chicken korma looked disgusting? I have taken your criticism (which, in my opinion was anything but constructive) and asked what specifically did you think looked disgusting. Even though you did come back to the thread afterwards, my question was, and still is, left unanswered. This was by far one of the better tasting kormas I've made to date. The colour changed somewhat due to the extra coloring in the tikka which got onto the sauce, but the funny thing is, you seem to come across as rude in other threads as well, yet, apart from those who get hit by your ego, everyone seems fine with your overly critical behaviour.

See, this forum does not need one more thread about whether the whole forum is in a war. It is quite obvious this is going to degenerate it further and cause anything other than curry related content.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 09:01 PM »
It just didn't look

a) appealing

b) Korma

I was replaying to George when you interrupted. I'm sure you are a nice person but you seem to be very vocal in 'the other place' and, from what I have seen of your cooking, I don't think I would want to be a part of a forum where you were actually giving out advice on BIR curries.

Maybe that is what George means when he says that differences of opinion are allowed here - maybe CA will have different rules.

Anyway - keep up the good work my friend, When's the e-book coming out?

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:11 PM »
I've been a member of this forum for nearly 2 yrs now and there are ups and downs in the opinions on the forum. Once we accept people are different, some heavily opinionated, some easily offended and some very hard faced (all as in day to day life) then it really is no big deal. I'm one of the one's who appreciated CA's initial inputs, but grew tired of his continuous winding up of members. However, in those circumstances, I chose not to post. Keep reading the knowledge that's there to be shared and enjoy the curry-making. Keep sharing knowledge when positive and learn from mistakes, that's where I'm up to. I'm looking forward to h4c's ebook and believe it will happen. On the downside, I'm disappointed he tried to share all his recipes via videos, until he found something "significantly" different, then he's going to charge for it. Some members actively berate him, others keep quiet. I chose to keep quiet.

That's life (IMO)

W

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:54 PM »
I'm one of the one's who appreciated CA's initial inputs, but grew tired of his continuous winding up of members.

I agree. I think of CA as one of the top contributors here, over several years. His recipes are written to a very high standard and seem to get very favourable feedback. I have a hard job weighing that up against his wind ups and heavy-handed moderation.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:00 PM »
I was replaying to George when you interrupted. I'm sure you are a nice person but you seem to be very vocal in 'the other place' and, from what I have seen of your cooking, I don't think I would want to be a part of a forum where you were actually giving out advice on BIR curries.

That's some psychological warfare there!  :'( ::)

See, unless you give me a clear reason for what you say, I am going to take it you mean my presentation skills, which I admit are a work in progress (as in that one thread) but quickly remind you that looks can be deceiving and food will invariably taste better than the looks. Also, I make no claims to be a chef, I'm trying to replicate the flavour and smell of curries, which unfortunately you will never be able to rate at a distance and over a digital medium (as of this writing, anyway.)

If you do think my knowledge of BIR concepts/techniques is what is lacking or is seemingly wrong, maybe you could teach me and I can learn with the more experienced like you ::). I have never made claims to know more than anyone anywhere, be it here or in the other forum, and I think my post count on this forum shows I have been equally participatingl around here (it's from memory 8-9x bigger than in the other forum.) and I've helped where possible. The difference is, half of this post count is probably my participation trying to clarify recipes, techniques, ingredients and even general cooking from when I joined.

I'm off to my 10 day holiday. Look forward to your reply on my return.  ::)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:07 PM »
I've been a member of this forum for nearly 2 yrs now and there are ups and downs in the opinions on the forum. Once we accept people are different, some heavily opinionated, some easily offended and some very hard faced (all as in day to day life) then it really is no big deal. I'm one of the one's who appreciated CA's initial inputs, but grew tired of his continuous winding up of members. However, in those circumstances, I chose not to post. Keep reading the knowledge that's there to be shared and enjoy the curry-making. Keep sharing knowledge when positive and learn from mistakes, that's where I'm up to. I'm looking forward to h4c's ebook and believe it will happen. On the downside, I'm disappointed he tried to share all his recipes via videos, until he found something "significantly" different, then he's going to charge for it. Some members actively berate him, others keep quiet. I chose to keep quiet.

That's life (IMO)

W
Nothing i can disagree with there W.  Well said.  I'm sure many or the longer standing members are thinking the same  ::)  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes