Author Topic: Midnight Snack  (Read 28617 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Midnight Snack
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 05:08 PM »
Thanks chewy. When you run that into the ground the asda "professional" DF300 fryer at

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 05:01 PM »
Wow, gorgeous dish there Chewy. I'm not huge into cooking chips at home, but this picture certainly makes me want to try.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 05:18 PM »
I never have chips at home but do them regularly at work.  150
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:06 PM by Gav Iscon »

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Don't follow all this double-fry nonsense. Onion bhajis yes, chips, no. All you need for proper chips are quality spuds (e.g. maris piper) and a good quality sunflower/vegetable oil, or beef dripping.  The oil needs to be very hot. The moisture in the chips must also be removed as much as possible before cooking.  Lay the chips out on paper towels and agitate them, vigorously.  Them, more paper towels.  As my mum told me, if you don't, the chips will be soggy, and it will also ruin the fat.  This is how it was done in Manchester, the home of the chip butty.

Rob  :)   

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Manchester, the home of the chip butty.

Prove it  ;D ;D. I thought the word butty originated in Liverpool  ::)

Plus cooking chips at work would be impractical in a single fry. Double fry all the way unless your Heston Bloomingfly ( or what ever he's called) and you have to go one better

http://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/heston-blumenthal-triple-cooked-chips

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 10:42 PM »
I used to double-fry (160oC/190oC) but now I slice, par-boil, cut into chips and fry until golden, and find this almost impossible to foul up, whereas with double-frying the final colour (and therefore taste) was very variable.  I use Albert Bartlett's Roosters, my potato of choice for virtually everything.

** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 11:02 PM »
Manchester, the home of the chip butty.

Prove it  ;D ;D. I thought the word butty originated in Liverpool  ::)

Plus cooking chips at work would be impractical in a single fry. Double fry all the way unless your Heston Bloomingfly ( or what ever he's called) and you have to go one better

http://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/heston-blumenthal-triple-cooked-chips

There's been a lot of debate over the years concerning the origin of the chip butty.  My understanding is the butty was first assembled in Manchester, or possibly Stockport.  Apparently, it is the kebab butty that belongs to Liverpool, or Rotherham.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 01:06 AM »
Double Fry

The best chips in a chippy are on a slow day, lying in the hopper, cooling, waiting to be used.

Customers come in, The Fryer (person) cranks the pan on full tilt, scoops the chips out of the
hopper back into the hot pan for a couple of minutes and out. Golden crispy goodness, can't be beat!

I know this because I was that Fryer  ;D ;D  I grew up in seaside Fish & Chip Restaurants.

By the end of the day, I would either stink of beef dripping or a peculiar sickly sweet Ice cream odour,
or with sugar hair and nostrils, off the candy floss counter. If I was really lucky, all three  ;D ;D  Those were the days. Mary Hopkins ;D

cheers Chewy

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 11:42 AM »
Double Fry...I know this because I was that Fryer  ;D ;D  I grew up in seaside Fish & Chip Restaurants.

I'm convinced. Do you agree with the temperatures suggested by others for the two stages?

And what's the very best oil type for the ultimate chip flavour? Beef dripping?

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 03:17 PM »
George
I don't do, perfect, ultimate, the best ever, better than - its just chips!
I've written down how I cook chips for the first time in my life, if you want to try it be my guest.

Beef dripping (old school) maybe the best and worst, memories of starting the day,
bringing the boxes of dripping from the storeroom, which I could hardly lift,
about a 15inch cube. Opening the box, cutting off the polythene wrapper and dropping it into the pan to melt.
Going about the my business and prepping all the other jobs I had to do, thats when it hits you,
"THE SMELL" for me one of the worst odours on the planet. If you've smelt death, this is not that far away.
Once you've smelt the first heating of beef dripping, it will stay with you a lifetime.

The cleaning of the pans was not my favourite task either, filling buckets with spent gunky dripping,
up to my elbows in grease. lol, ;D
 Funny thing is I can't remember what I did with it, but it probably went in the pigswill bin.

Anyhoo, The self same Restaurants have moved with the times and use vegetable oil these days
and also use oil filtering machines, which saves loads of oil money and eco friendly.

The same drum of oil can be filtered at least 5 times before its spent, then it powers someones Landrover.

Here's a couple of videos of the filtering machines and N.B. the carbon that is filtered out.
Do you really want to make your curry with old chip pan (seasoned oil) Julian Voight, Haldi style. ;)

cheers Chewy

http://youtu.be/Z4AXvl1yDwM
http://youtu.be/8HBliAmzgwY

©2024 Curry Recipes