Author Topic: Tip How to COOK an Indian takeaway curry like a Pro by Chef Sam | Ebook out soon  (Read 34768 times)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
I'm honestly not being arguementative, but we're not talking about adding the food which I'm sure not many people are going to debate. It's the pan being hot before, not the oil being hot.

I was talking to someone about cooking habits recently and we both admitted to doing loads of stuff that's been handed down to us, but with no real idea of the reason.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Yep - adding oil to a hot pan or adding oil to a cold pan then heating it up is going to make no difference according to your explanation moj :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
And, gonc, show me one of your curries I would be happy to be served in a BIR

I'll keep that thought in mind next time I'm cooking a curry.  "Must please garp" or refuse to cook curries, perhaps? ::)

If you are truly interested, you can see pic#1 and pic#2 of two recent curries whose photography I am pleased with.

Unfortunately for me, I have a bit of an ego and feel compelled to reply to your "defying" comments every time. It's a strange chemistry, I have to be honest.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:48 PM by goncalo »

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
One reason why TAs leave the pan empty on top of the stove is that on occasion the pans come up straight from being washed and aren't fully dried up. This helps evaporate some of the moisture, which, if in excess, could result in sputtering once the oil is added. I don't know if there is any other reason for it, but I do it out of convenience, i.e have the pan on while I'm still getting the last bits ready. I have watched a BIR owner (not chef) do the same in Birmingham and have it even caught on a video, though I'm not sure if I am allowed to share it.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
'garb'? Probably best if we don't converse in future.

But I did look at the pics and I stand by my previous comments - honesty is the best policy :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Spelling has been fixed, but I'll gladly stand by your request.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
I thought Goncalo had permanently gone to the dark side. Of what I've seen of his/her cooking, I wouldn't advise any newcomer to follow his/her advice  8)
But hey, if this forum had an option to ignore people (moderated), I am sure a number of other users would enjoy visiting this forum more often and live less on the "dark side" as you put it.
As shown to me when I asked the same

'Click on profile, hover cursor over modify profile and you will see "Buddy/Ignore lists" click on edit ignore list and add name of member.'

HTH
Martin

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Even though I live in the place where prisoners were once sent to I found the ignore button ;D
This is the only forum I have ever frequented where I can ignore the moderator ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:33 AM by Willyeckerslike »

Offline ottis

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi guys can anyone give me some info on chef Sam.. I hear he has a book coming out..I would like to know just a bit more about him before i buy it...on reading some threads he certainly has experience compared to most..I take it he has worked in takeaways and restaurants to have the knowledge he has..I just can't wait for the book to arrive so i'm hoping it won't be too long...still kinda lost finding my way about the site..thanks guys Ottis...and the beat goes on

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Well, strictly speaking the e-book will not be by Chef Sam but by "h4ppy-chris", who posted the first message in this thread.  Unfortunately Chris blotted his copy-book here a while back and has been banned from the forum.  He still posts elsewhere (i.e., in other fora) so you might want to try to track him down there and ask what news of the e-book.  And if you get any answers, please let the rest of us know !

You might also get hold of him through YouTube, where he posts as "h4ppyleader".

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes