Author Topic: Hotel's wood burning stove  (Read 4091 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Hotel's wood burning stove
« on: September 06, 2013, 11:27 AM »
I must be a swivel eyed, Daily Mail reading loon because the following image came from the Daily Mail's website.

It was an article about the conversion of Spitbank fort into a luxury hotel, in the middle of the Solent. It looks like this piece of kit is a wood burning stove, unless it's really gas and the wood is there just to look good. Any idea who makes it, where the wood would go, and where the smoke escapes? Interesting.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hotel's wood burning stove
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 01:14 PM »
where the wood would go, and where the smoke escapes? Interesting.

The wood would go in the top bit and the smoke would escape out the bottom

I must be a swivel eyed, Daily Mail reading loon

Yeah OK I agree

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 02:21 PM »

I know you're in Oz, Will, but the wood-burner is in the Northern hemisphere where smoke rises; that's why our chimneys are on our roofs (presumably yours are in the floor of your cellar).

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 02:48 PM »
I know you're in Oz, Will, but the wood-burner is in the Northern hemisphere where smoke rises; that's why our chimneys are on our roofs (presumably yours are in the floor of your cellar).

I was thinking his brain had fallen down to somewhere else. If he didn't have anything sensible to say, why contribute drivel?

It looks like the 'extractor' outlet on top might be designed to be connected to ducting inside a restaurant. I assume it's to remove cooking fumes, rather than smoke or gases from fuel combustion.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Its an old, modified Blacksmiths forge made into a trendy cooker. Not to far away from this.

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/Collections-Research/Research/Your-Research/X20L/objects/record.htm?type=object&id=729814

They'll set the logs away under the plate and I imagine the box underneath is the ash collection box.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Well explained GavIscon,
In keeping with these folly forts, I thought it looked like Victorian MOD salvage, converted into a hot plate.

Hardly an oven George, thats why Willy (Expat) was taking the piss, (moderated) but because you and
Phil 'The Troll' are older than your years and Anal, everything seems to fly just above your heads. ;D

Chewy

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 03:59 PM »
... everything seems to fly just above your heads. ;D

I'm grateful to Gaviscon for guessing or knowing it's probably a converted forge, but how was I expected to know that? Neither am I convinced that Willy was any the wiser, as you suggest.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Jeez, It doesn't Look like an oven George.

if you follow the forum, Willy posted about his new outdoor oven and Pizza.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,3130.msg95965.html#msg95965
Which funny enough Looks like an oven and maybe lead him to his sarcastic post.
I"ve no idea, or give a ...enough said.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Jeez, It doesn't Look like an oven George.

I'm fairly sure I didn't use the word "oven". I suggested it's some kind of stove. Even if you almost know it all, perhaps you should be more tolerant of anyone who's not familiar with blacksmith type gear. We can't all be as expert as you on everything under the sun. Actually, I'm not convinced you knew it was probably a converted forge, either. It was Gav who made that suggestion. And how would many people realise that a hotel would be using an old forge, or some look-a-like recreation as a piece of outdoor cooking gear? I posted it because it looked odd and I wondered if anyone could shine a light on what it was and how it worked. Gav came in as helpful and you butted in to stir up trouble - which makes you far more troll-like than Phil ever has been.

©2024 Curry Recipes