Author Topic: Three baltis  (Read 253022 times)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Three baltis
« Reply #290 on: March 14, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Do indeed look nice.  Been promising myself a TA from the Adil for ages; reckon I'll pop over tomorrow.  :)  Had a look through Adey's balti recipes and they all seem to contain vast quantities of Patak's balti paste.  No fancy.

Rob  :)

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Do indeed look nice.  Been promising myself a TA from the Adil for ages; reckon I'll pop over tomorrow.  :)  Had a look through Adey's balti recipes and they all seem to contain vast quantities of Patak's balti paste.  No fancy.

So there's no confusion, The Ade one I did was from Ade Edmunson's Around Britain thing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:04 PM by Gav Iscon »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Loving the look of the naans MushroomMike.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2014, 11:33 PM »
Cheers Stephen.  8)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 15, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Gav Iscon,

many thanks. i was not sure which adey too. i have the link to that video on my desk top and been trying to capture the adil bit without success. anyhow you've done the hard work on that - many thanks. recipe looks good and will try when i next have base.

the colour of the adil curry is something i'm still wrestling with. it's far redder than i've got. i'd had all fingers crossed that it was not food colour. the larger amount of Tandoori masala powder may just be it.

adding in a few mushrooms to the adey delux version (mine being still at basic stage) would be food heaven for me.

very best wishes,

me too on those naans of mushroom mike's - very jealous

Bengali Bob,

for info been plodding through the 100 balti book and still going at it. will let you know when i've finished and have further thoughts.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 15, 2014, 11:57 PM »
Right that's it I'm going to have to take a trip up to the triangle soon and see what the fuss is about. If the kushi book doesnt produce the genuine artical then true balties are clearly a different animal to what I get from my local Shimla Peppers.. Is Adils the place to go then fellas?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2014, 10:54 AM »
MushroomMike,

in all honesty i am sure more than the adil and kyber are top notch in the triangle - having said that the adil is well worth a visit. if we can talk bengali bob into arranging another visit then i'd like to compare how far i've got to their offering (now i know more gained from this post).

the balti house product is very different from anything classed as a balti in BIR's. i've sampled the west side of england and not come across anything close. i can only describe the difference as a very clear spiced dish, that has a tad harshness, lots of garlic, tomato, coriander. my previous fav has always been the plain chicken and mushroom. i'm now sold on the meat version.

like all places nothing is perfect - the grill was a tad stingy and the naan not quite as good as best (i've had them slightly more crispy again might not suit everyone) yet the size of it easily made up. it's a "cafe" experience too which does not suit all ie no table cloth

i'm well pleased i went and if a bit closer would be dropping in regularly. it has what i know as curry pedigree.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 17, 2014, 12:13 AM »
Hi Jerry Mmm My favourite is also chicken and mushrooms in a balti (or so called balti which ever way you look at it.) I have for years thought the combo works a treat. Add spinach and for me you have the holy trinity!

It's not exactly right on my doorstep either but close enough to take a trip over there. I'm seriously contemplating going over within the next week or so.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 17, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Had a balti from the AL Frash last week. Best Ive ever had...but small portion

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 17, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Didn't make it over to the Adil this weekend as planned, but this place would also be my recommendation for anyone visiting the triangle for the first time.  Possibly give Mondays a miss; have a feeling it's head-chef's night off there.  The Al-Frash is also top-notch real-deal balti.  When I went there the young lad who served me explained that their owner/chef never has a day off, ever.  They have trained a second chef but the owner is not happy leaving him by himself.  Agree with everything Jerry has said.  Stunning Adil balti, skimpy starters. Michael got the smallest tandoori lamb chop I have ever seen.  The sheep it came from must have been no more than 6 inches tall!  Lamb tikka was also chewy.  The bring-your-own-drink option is great though. Have thought that some of these balti houses should also be bring-your-own-naan!  Kyber is also amazing.  On our balti night we learned from the owner of the Adil that the guy who runs the Kyber is a relative.  Explains the dish similarity/quality perhaps.

Another balti night coming soon me thinks.  How about towards the end of April/early May?

©2024 Curry Recipes