Author Topic: Three baltis  (Read 253124 times)

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Three baltis
« Reply #400 on: January 14, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Excellent report Gav. I have eaten Baltis from Al  Frash quite a few times. One of my friends always picks up a takeaway from there whenever he eats there. One thing I will say is how inconsistent they are. I've never noticed any gelatinous stuff but I can taste some kind of chicken stock- much like you get from a stock cube. It's only noticeable to me with the first mouthful tho. On the whole I find them very enjoyable. Don't think I would have managed a 4 hour drive home without scoffing at least one of the Baltic though!

Regards

Mick

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 14, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Gav

Was it a proper balti you bought in Worcester? Do you remember the name of the place?

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Gav

Was it a proper balti you bought in Worcester? Do you remember the name of the place?

Yep, (well I assumed so) it was one of the 'Mr Dave's Balti House'. It had just opened and 10 of us went whilst working at the shopping centre there. We all thought it was great but on our return a year later we were met with disappointment which invariably is the case I've found over the years with some of the places I've enjoyed.   :(
Even worse when you've recommended them  :-\

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 14, 2015, 09:07 PM »
What a shame I'd liked to have checked that out. PS Was probably the Crowngate shopping centre you worked at.  :D

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 14, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Was probably the Crowngate shopping centre you worked at.  :D

It was that thank you. Couldn't remember the name but remember the centre well.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 15, 2015, 01:38 PM »
After the Adil naff stuff, These three curries were good and no complaints from me.

The Al frash Baltis had the look and texture of usual curries made with a base gravy
with a slight taste of a Garam mixed powder, not really my idea of Madras Hot, but hot enough to add to the flavour.

Chicken obviously precooked and

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2015, 02:15 PM »

Found an old promo vid of the Al frash chef doing a public demo with all the precooked ingredients and his Balti pans.

And, heaven forbid, on a domestic hob  ;D ;D

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Good spot on the video, Chewy! I haven't seen that one.

Aye, Gav, a domestic hob - with flaming - no less! I think he had all 4 rings on the go, right enough. If I did that, I'd set myself on fire! :)

Was that pre-cooked sliced onions I saw going into the pan between 8.30-8.41? I didn't see any mix powder going in either.

I know it was only a expo demo, but the thing that interested me was the relatively small number of ingredients used. It was probably only basic curries, but unless I missed something (entirely possible!) the meals didn't look too busy in the ingredient department.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 15, 2015, 10:27 PM »
GavIscon,

Well pleased you did not give up and found decent balti in the end.

I'd have had to have a naan for the car.

I think the stock only goes into meat dishes ie not chicken. There was no stock in the chicken balti I had at the adil.

The meat balti at the adil that I tasted did have stock but was in balance. I'm in no rush to crack the stock part of balti as the rest of it sorts me out (sauce, korahi and naan)

Al fresh it is when I next get chance. Half portions is a real turn off though and would weigh heavy on my mind too. Would have to ask before placing order given the heads up.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 15, 2015, 10:41 PM »
Jerry,

The chicken tikka ones I had from the Adil in September were heavily laden with stock. I'd like to get some reports and perhaps try again now they've moved back to their original premises. Kushi and Imrans next time I'm down there.  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes