Author Topic: Three baltis  (Read 253171 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Three baltis
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Hi Fried
This Balti Malarky, Nobody seems to know for sure what the original Paki version is yet.
Need a time machine and a bit divine intervention to solve the mystery. ;D ;D

But since the early eighties, Balti cooked by Bangladeshi BIR and TA's (1,000's Nationwide) have been your standard BIR curries
with a dollop of Balti paste added for the flavour.

If you look at Bob's best photographs of the Balti's he's bought from some of the most famous Balti House's in Brum,
they look no different from standard BIR curry fayre and look like the've just had a dollop.  ;)

It would be different if they were curries shown were loaded with whole spices and cooked from fresh.
I do remember one restaurant here doing this style, all those years ago.
Until Bob can find a Original Pakistani Balti. ;)

I'll continue with what I know for sure, but for anybody who can't get Pataks Balti paste
You could try this recipe for making your own jar up.

Chewy's Balti Paste

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2013, 10:48 PM »
Finally I can find some usefulness to my pestle and mortar, thanks Chewy!

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2013, 10:53 PM »
I'll continue with what I know for sure, but for anybody who can't get Pataks Balti paste
You could try this recipe for making your own jar up.

And, assuming both pastes taste similar, neither will produce a dish that even remotely resembles a true Birmingham balti.

We're working on it Chewy.  Have patience.  It's a major and important task!

Rob  :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2013, 11:25 AM »
Just picked up the legendary Balti Towers balti jar sauces. As recommended by Jan O Pederson, the 1991 Speedway World Champion!

http://www.halesowennews.co.uk/news/local/4780740.Balti_sauce_hits_supermarket_shelves/

Was always going to be a bit of long-shot this one.  Had hoped there'd be some root veg gems in the ingredients list.  Never mind.  I shall have a taste later.

Rob  :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Just picked up the legendary Balti Towers balti jar sauces. As recommended by Jan O Pederson, the 1991 Speedway World Champion!
Maybe Jan should stick to what he's good at  ;) and leave the balti assessing to the real experts  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Phil [Chaa006],

the unit is nothing special and no real science behind. i just tend to pick out one ingredient that i feel is key and call this 1 unit or 100%.

i find it useful when looking at mix powder recipes. for me cumin is my base unit and i would then look for coriander to have 2 units and so on. in base gravy my base unit is onion. i use the unit for this as a percent so i would look for say 10% oil and the spice to be between 3 and 6%.

it's not meant to be accurate but to give a quick idea of how the recipe sits and how it compares to other recipes.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Any thoughts on there inclusion?
I find it hard to understand the exact difference in taste between Balti and standard BIR.

Fried,

cloves don't jump out for me as a BIR ingredient or Balti. i have never used them and don't intend to. i do have pimento on my mind but it's quite different.

across most of BIR land there is no difference between Balti and BIR dishes. i think of BIR Balti as korahi ie lightly spiced and a fair bit of veg ie green pepper, onion, tomato.

where Balti is different is in one area of Birmingham where the places are called Balti Houses. difficult to describe how these differ but for me they are a cross between BIR and Traditional but with the traditional bits adjusted for the english taste ie no cloves and only lightly spiced. the garam is aromatic rather than heat based traditional ingredient.

another difference is that the naan bread is better - it's thinner and almost crisp not doughy like BIR naan.

Balti House mains are more veg based than BIR ie mushroom.

bottom line though is that i can live without balti but not BIR
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 03:25 PM by Onions »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Hmmm, I am still very confused.  So if (say) your reference ingredient in the Balti Masala is cumin (for which you give a scaled value of 1 unit) and of which there is 5ml :

Balti masala mix powder:
1) paprika 10 ml
2) chilli 2.5 ml (0.25)
3) coriander 10 ml (2.5)
4) cumin 5 ml (1)
5) garlic 5 ml (0.5)
6) ginger 2.5 ml (0.3)
7) green cardamom 1.25 ml (0.2)
8 ) methi 5 ml (0.5)
9) bassar 15 ml
10) turmeric 50 ml (0.5)

why is it that the turmeric, of which there is ten times as much (i.e., 50ml), has a scaled value of only 0.5, or exactly the same value as is given to the methi, of which there is only 5ml rather than 50ml ?

** Phil.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2013, 06:16 PM »
been studying the andy munro video (org post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,4472.0.html)

there are 12 ingredient dishes on the table.

does anyone have any ideas on what the dish next to the onion is - it's got me beat and i feel it's probably a key ingredient:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/video/2010/mar/30/birmingham-balti-triangle

this is how i have the 7 mins:
1) Sliced onion
2) chopped f. Tomato
3) Green pepper
4) Salt
5) Tom pwdr paprika
6) mix or turmeric
7) Garam
8 ) methi
9) meat
10) Sliced f. Green chilli
11) Fresh coriander

12) Unknown paste ?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2013, 06:34 PM »

does anyone have any ideas on what the dish next to the onion is - it's got me beat and i feel it's probably a key ingredient:

12) Unknown paste ?

Could it possibly be whizzed up fried onions with a drop of water or yoghurt?   :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BEje_rwyM8
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:09 PM by DalPuri »

©2024 Curry Recipes