Author Topic: Chewy's Chicken Tikka Masala - CTM  (Read 30028 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chewy's Chicken Tikka Masala - CTM
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2014, 02:43 AM »
Probably should have posted this feedback months ago when I first tried it, but I tried the CTM as per Chewy's instruction with the Red Masala Sauce and Paste.

To me, this concluded the search for BIR CTM.

Thanks Chewy!

-- Josh

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Yep Chewy's recipes always deliver IMHO.  Not sure he always gets credited for his contribution to this forum, for example he was the first to mention the use of akhini stock in a base gravy which now seems to be cropping up all over the place. One of the few guys who knows what they're talking about.

PS Thinking about it I'm fairly sure the first time I saw cabbage in a base sauce was chewy's 3hr / 1 hr base recipe, and that also seems to be becoming more widely adopted now...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:03 AM by natterjak »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Yep Chewy's recipes always deliver IMHO.  Not sure he always gets credited for his contribution to this forum, for example he was the first to mention the use of akhini stock in a base gravy which now seems to be cropping up all over the place. One of the few guys who knows what they're talking about.

I'll second that sentiment, NJ!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2014, 10:22 AM »
he was the first to mention the use of akhni stock in a base gravy...Thinking about it I'm fairly sure the first time I saw cabbage in a base sauce was chewy's 3hr / 1 hr base recipe

Not to disparage CT's invaluable efforts on the forum but I was using akhni stock back in 1990 (probably earlier but memory fails me) from Pat Chapman's books and if you search you'll probably find it mentioned by someone or other very early in the forum's life.

Cabbage I think was first mentioned in the book from that Pangolin killer chappy (again memory fails me as to his name). Again I'm sure a search would find cabbage as a base ingredient mentioned earlier in the forum too.

I can't wait for Chris to reveal his magic, never seen before paste so that I can point to a post from this forum - probably from very early on - that shows there ain't nothing new in this old BIR game.

There are actually very few 'new' ideas that haven't been brought up at some stage at the start of the forum but I don't think all were given the notice they deserved. It's only now that we have people getting into actual BIR kitchens that we see that the info, if a little uncoordinated, has been here all along.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2014, 11:19 AM »

I can't wait for Chris to reveal his magic, never seen before paste so that I can point to a post from this forum - probably from very early on - that shows there ain't nothing new in this old BIR game.

Oil, G&G paste, mix powder and tomato puree apparently.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2014, 11:35 AM »
I really should add to this as well. I cooked 11/12 of these last week for work, pre making the sauce and adding the CT to warm through on the night. In the fridge all day at work and the day staff were into the cartons for a taste and there were lots of favourable comments. When served heated with the meat in, quite a few said it was the best CTM they had had. I like the fact at how easy they were to knock out and even though I'm not a CTM fan it did taste good. I'll probably do some freezer portions off the paste and sauce which will keep the kids happy. Chewys Chicken Tikka next which I was supposed to do last week but was rapidly running out of time and enede up using the laziza Chicken Tikka spice packets. Very hot and spicy.  :o

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2014, 01:36 PM »

Oil, G&G paste, mix powder and tomato puree apparently.

Hopefully that's a joke natterjack. I wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary for this supposedly magic paste but if what you say is true then it truly is sad. I said in an earlier post that it was probably Chris's naiivety that would lead him to think he's discovered a magic paste. This would seem to bear that thought out if true. I sort of hope it isn't true.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Hard to know what's real and what's a wind up, maybe the mythical ebook will include a twist when it finally hits the presses - but will any of us still be young enough to chop an onion?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2014, 10:43 PM »
Chewtikka,

Appreciate guidance on the carrot mix being the paste and the yoghurt mix the sauce. Important to me in placing what's what BIR.

The recipe is what I call well crafted - I see no need to change it.

I think I just needed to up the sauce. With hindsight it was the larger amount of paste that fooled me in comparison to the amount of sauce. I used 30% sauce c/w the paste ie 15 ml sauce and 45 ml paste in a half portion. Going to up the % on next go to say 60%.

I also need to say that some will need to add in coconut flour to make it like some modern BIR do.

I also found lemon dressing had small benefit at dish frying but increasing the amount made little difference to the zing.

The only thing remaining on my mind on this dish is the use of mango given the use in the Nottingham video. I know mango chutney and sure it's not that. Mango pulp caramelised may be it.

The main thing is am very greatful to chewy for cutting my journey very short on this. As chewy says I do find the journey more exciting than arriving. I can't decide next up no3 madras or meat balti.

ps well pleased Josh is happy too.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2014, 10:12 PM »
For info won't be trying out the mango pulp 'tinned'. Asked manager at local restaurant. His family have recently been to brum for wedding. They did not like CTM too sweet.

Also in side by side with take out. Mine had too much coconut flour - will halve amount. Also the curry 'mix powder' taste was much stronger than I'd thought. Fits with increasing amount of sauce proportion.

A real surprise and eye opener for me having been recently started using sugar- the restaurant do not use sugar except in dansak and Korma.

I am now sorted on this - big thanks chewy. In short as spec with little coconut flour ~1 tbs added per portion at dish fry.

The only question left is other than onion what are the key differences between brown and red CTM. I think mint, methi, tamarind. In no rush though happy at the eating.

©2024 Curry Recipes