Author Topic: Garlic Chilli Chicken Tikka Dopiaza  (Read 11795 times)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Garlic Chilli Chicken Tikka Dopiaza
« on: September 15, 2013, 02:10 PM »
Complete with shatkora pickle.  A dopiaza with real attitude!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wREsy6cQmPs

Rob  :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Garlic Chilli Chicken Tikka Dopiaza
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Thanks for this bob. I was killing myself thinking what to cook today! a tikka dopiaza with extra garlic and chilli sounds perfect "sunday roast" material.  8)

I can't seem to source the shatkora pickle here, only the frozen fruit which is a bit tart. Is the pickle considerably better Bob? Would you go to the lengths of importing it from another country?

edit: Is it me or does he add some shatkora slices in the frying stage?

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Thanks for this bob. I was killing myself thinking what to cook today! a tikka dopiaza with extra garlic and chilli sounds perfect "sunday roast" material.  8)

I can't seem to source the shatkora pickle here, only the frozen fruit which is a bit tart. Is the pickle considerably better Bob? Would you go to the lengths of importing it from another country?

edit: Is it me or does he add some shatkora slices in the frying stage?

Not sure Goncalo.  Haven't tried a shatkora pickle in a curry as yet. I've got two: Pran and Nicobena.  Both are uber zingy.  I think I'll try the Pran for the dopiaza, as Chewy has mentioned this brand before on the forum. Didn't spot the slices. Will have another look, or two. I like this chef.  Micks' uploaded some more cracking vids recently.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 09:00 PM »
I think I may have confused the "green peppers", as in a few frames it appears to have more of a lime shade of green (I also hadn't watched the video til the end where I see the addition of the pickled shatkora)

I bought recently a "priya citron pickle" (lemon and garlic, I think) so I am going to try it.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 09:42 PM »
What's Shatkora Pickle?

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 10:27 PM »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 10:43 PM »
cheers Rob I've never seen this locally, maybe it's yet to make it's way up north!

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 11:24 PM »
cheers Rob I've never seen this locally, maybe it's yet to make it's way up north!

Shatkora is a bengali seasonal fruit, of a lemon, that is grown in Sylhet. I heard that in scotland the BIRs are mostly owned by pakistani and indian punjabis, hence there is probably less of a market for these pickles than there is further south is my half-arsed theory. I'm even surprised how we can find the frozen shatkora here in Dublin... :)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 11:30 PM »
To be honest I wouldn't rush out and buy this one.  It's pretty minging with mustard oil.  Could I suppose be a nice addition to a curry, although I think the Pran shatkora pickle is favourite.  I've taken two jars so far to my local TA and both have vanished. Pretty certain they've ended up in a staff curry.  Shatkora is a must try ingredient though Stephen.  There is nothing like it.  I have made a few outstanding curries with frozen shatkora. The frozen fruit, or, so I am told, fresh (when in season), or a decent pickle, is the way to go.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 11:50 PM »
and I've had several "shatkora jalfrezis" from a BIR In Cambridge, which were to die for. I've never really managed to get the depth of flavour though...  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes