Author Topic: Mango lassi  (Read 6172 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Mango lassi
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:38 PM »
I know that many here prefer a strong lager or other beer with their curries, but as someone whose liver has issued its final public warning I prefer to err on the side of safety and drink either 0,5% German alkoholfrei beer (Clausthaler Extra Herb or Main Thaler) or Mango Lassi.  This summer I have been drinking about a litre of mango lassi a day, and I thought I might usefully share my recipe.

Needed :
  • One jug blender, capacity 1,5 to 1,7 litres.
  • Six to eight ice cubes.
  • 1/2 850gm tin TRS mango pulp (Kesar or Alphonso, the former is usually cheaper but tastes as good)
  • 1/2 1 litre carton Rubicon mango juice
  • 1 500 ml tub full fat Greek joghurt (Waitrose is my preferred one, and good value at

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mango lassi
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:40 PM »
No alcohol? you could always try a bhang lassi.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:45 PM »
No alcohol? you could always try a bhang lassi.

I am a /very/ very sad individual, Fried.  I have never smoked, and never taken recreational drugs other than alcohol.  And at 66, I think it's probably too late to start now :)

** Phil.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:32 AM »
This summer I have been drinking about a litre of mango lassi a day, and I thought I might usefully share my recipe.

I made this recipe last night and it is absolutely superb. I challenge anyone to come up with a better recipe for mango lassi. I noted that someone adds tamarind fruit to mango lassi, so perhaps I will try that but, really, Phil's recipe is so good that I'm reluctant to tamper with it. Better than the BIRs.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:21 PM »
I challenge anyone to come up with a better recipe for mango lassi.

Try using half yoghurt and half vanilla ice cream instead of just yoghurt. Even better I think, though arguably no longer a true lassi.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:04 AM »
Try using half yoghurt and half vanilla ice cream instead of just yoghurt. Even better I think, though arguably no longer a true lassi.

SS - thank you for your suggestion, which I look forward to trying. I'm after the most more-ish flavour, regardless of the authenticity.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 10:43 AM »
    [...]This summer I have been drinking about a litre of mango lassi a day, and I thought I might usefully share my recipe.

Needed :
    • One jug blender, capacity 1,5 to 1,7 litres.
    • Six to eight ice cubes.
    • 1/2 850gm tin TRS mango pulp (Kesar or Alphonso, the former is usually cheaper but tastes as good)
    • 1/2 1 litre carton Rubicon mango juice
    [li]1 500 ml tub full fat Greek joghurt (Waitrose is my preferred one, and good value at[/li][/list]

I am not sure at what point I (perhaps inadvertently) switched from using TRS mango pulp to Laila, but I clearly did, and until my present stock expired I found the Laila a good substitute.  But I ran out a few days ago, and our head chef suggested that I look in Asda, where he had been sourcing mango pulp for the hotel.  He also gave me a spare tin of KTC mango pulp at the same time.  I used his KTC first, and it was not bad, but was paler and less intense, almost certainly because it used kesar mangoes rather than alphonso.  Then I went to Asda and was delighted to find that they not only had KTC, they had Laila as well.  Overjoyed, I bought nine tins of Laila, and made my first lassi using the Laila yesterday.  Absolute disaster.  Since buying my previous batch, Laila have changed the recipe, and whereas my original batch had 92% mango pulp with added sugar syrup and an acidity regulator (citric acid), the Asda batch had 90% mango pulp with added sugar (not sugar syrup), acidity regulator (citric acid), "natural colour" and "mango flavour".  The flavour was disgusting.  I have tried adding some mango and passion fruit coulis, but I think it would need a full bottle to make it palatable.

I shall be returning the remaining eight of the nine cans of Laila to Asda for refund, will take whatever KTC they have (if any), but will search for TRS and/or an alphonso-based pulp for my next batch.

Afterthought — it is perhaps worth reporting that the KTC kesar mango pulp consists of 95% mango with added sugar syrup (not sugar) and acidity regulator (citric acid).
    --
    ** Phil.
    « Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:21 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes