Author Topic: Hey, over here!  (Read 6767 times)

Offline pr0tax

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hey, over here!
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Hello Everyone.

Good to see a forum I think I can slip right into. By day I'm a software/computer game developer. 28, divorced but with a new girl now (hindsight!) and I love Indian food.

*Cue Long and Probably Boring Intro*

It started when I was young (14?) every Wednesday I used to go to my asian friend's house for tea and his mum used to cook and by god it was beautiful. Ever since the days I started with the pubs/clubs we went to restaurants afterwards and got into curry even more.

Since the age of about 15, always had good curry from one main takeaway here (but always like to try new things) then I got bored of some tasting completely different so I stuck with my main one. We usually eat Curry/Biryani 5-6 days a week. So I started cooking Indian food myself 4 years ago. I was completely unaware of this forum at this point!

Initially I started with the usual paste from Asda etc. but in all honesty, it was terrible and it set me quite back thinking I wouldn't attempt it again. Until one day I thought sod it, I followed a recipe online for a Lamb Biryani and I bought all the spices and what not, awesome! It came out terrible, 2nd attempt was bang on, 3rd attempt was awful, 4th attempt - terrible. Biryani took me a good 12/13 attempts until I finally mastered my own recipe based off a collection of different recipe's I had found.

After this was curry, after the pub one night I went to my fave takeaway for a curry (as you do) and I saw this huge pot he was 'dipping into' and I often wondered how they whipped up curries so fast and I said to my pal, I wonder if it's like a 'base curry' or a 'standard set of ingredients pre-cooked'. So I shot home and Googled it and would you know it yes!

So, since then I have delved into many a recipe and I must say, this site is worth it's weight in Gold. I haven't tried any of the recipe's yet but I think I may post my Biryani one, I'm not fully up to scratch with Curries yet, my first attempt at Base/Madras last week was 95% there, tonight it was 35% so I'm a bit disappointed but I get the gist pretty quick.

I'll try get around to putting my own Lamb Biryani recipe up with instructions but aside of that, I'm looking forward to learning more. Just to put a smile on my face, I ditched the old pan set and purchased some new stainless steel pottery today from our local continental.

Apologies for the long and probably boring intro. Glad to be here :)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, over here!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum, its a fantastic resource of information

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:32 PM »
welcome from Scotland, we have members here from all over UK and beyond, some of whom are normal.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:36 PM »
Enjoy pr0tax, there's a good community of other like-minded professionals around here, including software developers. Given the pace at which they interact within the community and how they manage to make their own curries, it is safe to assume they don't work in the game industry.

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:47 PM »
Retired IT professional here. Don't hold it against me.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 07:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
I would like to see the biriani recipe.

Enjoy
Stew

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 07:37 AM »
Retired IT professional here. Don't hold it against me.

Also retired IT pro, but after five years' retirement I do more IT on a daily basis than I ever did when I was getting paid for it !

** Phil.

Offline pr0tax

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Thanks for the greetings!

Great to see some IT folks around here too! I started VB and Pascal around the age of about 13 (~1998?) and it went from there, never attended College or Uni just started doing my own thing and have grown ever since. No better feeling than running your own business! Glad I found my strong point at such an early age, although I did miss out on the dot com boom (I put that down to lack of life experience)  :o

I would like to see the biriani recipe.
Thanks Stew! I love contributing anything I can back, so I will certainly post my Biryani recipe and will welcome all types of criticism (although I must admit, I finally got it on-par with my fave takeaway) :D

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 09:52 AM »
Welcome pr0tax - hope you find the forum as useful as I have.

And hey......with all these IT people on here, can we start a section where you can post PC problems?

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 12:53 PM »
Great to see some IT folks around here too! I started VB and Pascal around the age of about 13 (~1998?) and it went from there, never attended College or Uni

Interesting similarities. I also started with pascal (no VB here though) and I hold no degree. I was 16 back in 98 though. I wish I had been more responsible to start my own business, something I still think of to this day.

©2024 Curry Recipes