Author Topic: Home Curry for the Kids!  (Read 7361 times)

Offline pr0tax

• Chef
    • View Profile
Home Curry for the Kids!
« on: September 21, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Hey Everyone,

My first contribution thread that I felt quite proud of; so I just had to share it! I hope this is the relevant forum to post in, apologies in advance if it's not.

The kids have been asking for curry n rice for their dinner so I threw on the overalls and got to it. Here is the recipe with ingredients and method(s) for the entire thing. Took me 15 minutes.

Click For HD Image!

Just to further note, my 6 year old son and 20 month old girl went through this like a bullet and asked for more so it's certainly something to note for the future :)

FYI: I used Dipuraja's Curry Base Gravy for the base (prepared the night before)

Cooking Time: 15 Minutes

Rice: 8 Minutes

Rice Method
  • 125g Basmati Rice
  • 300ml Boiling Water
Pop into a Microwavable dish, wrap with clingfilm and pierce several times, 4 minutes on full power (800w) then 4 minutes on Medium power (500w).

Main Dish: Ingredients
  • 2 tbspn Ghee/Oil
  • Ginger and Garlic Paste
  • 1 tbspn - Dipuraja's Mix Powder
  • 1/5th tspn Methi
  • 2 heaped tbspn Tomato Puree
  • 1 tspon Salt
  • 100g tinned tomatoes
  • 2 tbspn Lemon Juice
  • 1 tbspn Natural Yogurt

Main Dish: Method
  • Heat the oil up nice and hot, once sizzling drop in the Garlic and Ginger paste and fry for around 15 seconds
  • Put in the Methi and continue to fry for a further 5-10 seconds
  • Put in the Tomato Puree and continue to fry for a further 15-20 seconds
  • Add Base Gravy
  • Put in the Mix Powder and quick-fry for around 20 seconds
  • Add some base gravy and bring to the boil, leave to sizzle for a good 10-20 seconds
  • Put in the salt and leave it for a good 30-35 seconds
  • Add more Base Gravy if you need to at any point
  • Add the Tinned Tomatoes, stir in and leave to cook for roughly 20-30 seconds whilst constantly stirring
  • Now, add your 1tbspn of Yogurt in the centre and leave it there for about 15 seconds
  • Stir around the yoghurt and throw in the Lemon Juice
  • Add more base gravy (if needed for quantity and/or prevention of sticking)
  • Leave to cook off for a further 2 minutes whilst constantly stirring and you have the desired thickness and you're done!

N.B - The adding of Base Gravy adds to the time to cook to bring it up to the same level as the contents already in the pan (hence why it can extend to 10-15 minutes - even though the above method only looks about half of that)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:16 PM by pr0tax »

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Home Curry for the Kids!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Sounds a lot like a BIR approach with the base gravy and all so maybe not really traditonal. It looks pretty nice, though - but: no meat or veg? Personally, I'd serve that curry sauce with some chips instead ;)

The microwave rice method is interesting, will need to give that shot but I learned to use 1.5x water of the rice amount a while ago. Have you tried that?

Offline pr0tax

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Sounds a lot like a BIR approach with the base gravy and all so maybe not really traditonal.
Ah, true. However I wasn't sure where to put this thread with it not being any type of 'mainstream curry'.

Personally, I'd serve that curry sauce with some chips instead
I made some for me and the enemy after this batch with chips :) Oddly enough, none of my kids like chips which I find real strange.

With regards to the rice/water, yes I always used to stick with 1.5x too, however in the Microwave and with Basmati (it was soaked for an hour or two prior) I just use this ratio and the Basmati turns out absolutely perfect (at least I can't shout at myself for failing the rice) :D

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 04:50 PM »
I like it, thanks for sharing pr0tax.
What I noticed and I'm not sure its down to some post-editing, your camera or your microwaves method (or a combination) is that your rice has a very clean white look to it. Anything you would like to attribute it to?

Offline pr0tax

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 05:02 PM »
Hey Goncalo,

Thanks, did you happen to try it?

With regards to the Rice, I honestly couldn't tell you. There is no post-editing but yes, in real life it also looks brilliant white almost to the point you need shades on just to look at it!

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 06:32 PM »
Thanks pr0tax, I didn't try the recipe yet. I like the recipe's method and the looks of your dishes though -- sorry if I confused.

What brand of rice are you using?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 06:49 PM »
What I noticed and I'm not sure its down to some post-editing, your camera or your microwaves method (or a combination) is that your rice has a very clean white look to it. Anything you would like to attribute it to?

Rice with no added ingredients usually turns out white where I am.

No offence, Goncalo, but are you from Kerry?

Offline pr0tax

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Thanks pr0tax, I didn't try the recipe yet. I like the recipe's method and the looks of your dishes though -- sorry if I confused.

What brand of rice are you using?

It is Akash Basmati

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 01:27 PM »
Ah, same brand I was using before my recent batch of tilda, but never got the plain rice looking as white as in your pictures.

Thanks pr0tax.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 04:39 PM »

No offence, Goncalo, but are you from Kerry?

Oh no, not a Kerry Man  ;)

Les

©2024 Curry Recipes