Author Topic: Premier Curries Burnley  (Read 20412 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Premier Curries Burnley
« on: September 29, 2013, 11:06 AM »
Ordered a large meal for my sisters birthday last week from Sam's TA.
Everyone was very happy and said their curries were delicious and i have to say this was one of the better curries ive had in many years.

Best curry of the night for me was the Shahee Mosala, good flavour and depth from the keema with huge pieces of chicken tikka.
Other curries ordered and tasted were, Sag gosht, Pasanda, Darjeeling, Lamb korai, Aloo gobi and Niramish.
All the curries were full to the brim and considering the prices, make this TA excellent value for money.
Rice and breads were good (not stodgy like in the pilau video chris uploaded  ;))   But,, they forgot to add a portion of onion bhajis.  >:(

Now even though i would go back, there was a very odd flavour coming through in the curries that i didnt like at all. It was a Very sweet medicinal flavour and quite overpowering.
Most notable in the Pasanda and the Korai, both of which have been videoed and uploaded by Chris.
Having watched these a couple of times each, i am wondering what this flavour could be? A different variety of Tej patta or cassia perhaps?, a handful of cloves?  :-\ But in the videos, these spices arent added directly to the two curries, so i'm guessing that there must be whole spices added to either the gravy or the spiced oil.
Whatever spice/spices were added was too much!  Will have to wait for the ebook to find out.  ;)

The TA itself is tiny!  :P It was very busy with 6 or 7 guys rushing about all with a smile on their face and jokes flying around. A very nice bunch of guys.
I can understand why Chris decided to film in there because you can see everything happening. Standing at the counter, that first burner you see in all the videos is literally 3 foot away!! (Some of the ingredient containers are slightly obscured by the counter without leaning forward, thats how close you are to everything.)
I could feel the heat on my face from the flaming pan and instantly shifted my head back the first time it happened.  ;D

All in all, very good curries at great prices from a bunch of friendly guys.

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Premier Curries Burnley
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:09 PM »
It's good to get a first hand account to vouch for the quality of the place. No doubt once the recipes are fully known you can take a view on whether you want to adjust to reduce the flavour you found too strong for your liking.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:16 PM »
there was a very odd flavour coming through in the curries that i didnt like at all. It was a Very sweet medicinal flavour and quite overpowering.

The first thing that comes to my mind when anyone says medicinal in relation to curries is black cardamom which has a very medicinal taste to it if used in excess.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Cloves can have a medicinal taste in great quantity

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 06:24 PM »
there was a very odd flavour coming through in the curries that i didnt like at all. It was a Very sweet medicinal flavour and quite overpowering.

The first thing that comes to my mind when anyone says medicinal in relation to curries is black cardamom which has a very medicinal taste to it if used in excess.

I dont think it was black cardamom SS, i love them  ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 06:54 PM »
could garam masala account for the taste?

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 06:56 PM »
Star Anise ?

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Perhaps carom/ajwain? Contains thymol. As in pakoras, baltis, and Vick's vaporub.

Rob  :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 07:03 PM »
Was Chris there?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 07:45 PM »
could garam masala account for the taste?

Definitely not a standard GM.  amchoor maybe?

Star Anise ?

Possible? but dont think so. I wish i had some here now to keep tasting, it might come to me with some suggestions. Its hard to describe. I'd say it had a sourness as well or even bad coconut but without a coconut flavour.
I'm sure its a hard spice though. I even chewed on the tej and cassia (from the shahee mosala)the next day to see if they were a different species.  :D
No point in guessing really, will have to wait for the ebook.  ::)

Perhaps carom/ajwain? Contains thymol. As in pakoras, baltis, and Vick's vaporub.

Rob  :)

No, not ajwain too musty. i like that spice.

Was Chris there?

Just me and me sister.

©2024 Curry Recipes