Author Topic: My Curry Book!!!  (Read 16371 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My Curry Book!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 07:04 PM »
I'm with uclown.

Meggeth posted his favourite recipes without any attempt to make money from it.

I thought this forum was about sharing recipes. It's not Amazon.

Some people need to get a grip and lose some pretentiousness.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 07:24 PM »
This forum is significantly blighted by bickering and thread derailment and detracts from the purpose of the forum, namely to learn more about BIR cooking.

I completely agree.

I for one do not enjoy the 'atmosphere' here but I sense you revel in it.

No, I don't "revel in it" one iota; but nor am I willing to stay quiet when something needs to be said.  If you look back in this thread, you will see that my opening post was one of congratulation to Meggeth, followed later by a suggestion as to how Meggeth could usefully modify the e-book so as not to attract complaints from authors whose work was being used without permission.  Both were clearly intended as a positive contribution, to the thread, to the forum, and to Meggeth's e-book.  Since then, some (a few) have chosen to suggest that my observation was flippant (it wasn't) or that I should "Give over, FFS".  What would you have me do at this point -- sit mute, and allow others to think that I /was/ being flippant, or had seen the error of my ways and "Give(n) over, FFS", or stand my ground and say that my comment was a serious one and should be taken seriously ?

I'm grateful for what I have learned here but frankly it's just not a nice place to visit, never mind post.

I'm truly sorry you feel that way, UC.  All I can say is, if you don't think this forum is a nice place to visit or post, just try one of the more recent fora devoted to BIR and see how you feel there after receiving one or more warning shots via PM from the site admin ...

** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:44 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 07:28 PM »
I thought this forum was about sharing recipes.

It's about sharing one's own recipes, Garp, not about sharing other people's recipes without their permission.
** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 07:47 PM »
So no-one has posted a recipe from Madhur Jaffrey or other people who have actually had books published?

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 07:56 PM »
So no-one has posted a recipe from Madhur Jaffrey or other people who have actually had books published?

Garp

You know you can't have the last word don't you?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Yes, I'm sure you are right my friend.

But hey.........Meggeth was trying to do a good thing, in my book - sharing his personal favourites (freely).

If others wish to be muppets, they will only drive more people away :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 08:02 PM »

Yes, they have but it doesn't make it right from a legal point of view.

Phil is correct. The thread has only gone a bit off track because a few others called his comments drivel. It's not drivel at all. Now, some people might say that even if he is correct from a legal point of view, they don't give a damn and will carry on regardless. In my opinion, they're taking a bit of a risk, especially where big name publishers are concerned. It's less likely that other members here could or would take legal action, if their recipes are 'republished'. The cost would run into many tens of thousands of pounds, if not hundreds of thousands.

That's my opinion but I'm no lawyer. It always amazes me how people load music as well as whole movies and programmes from the BBC (etc) to youtube and little has been said or done about it so far.

As for 'heated discussions' on this forum, how do you think other forums avoid them? By being run like a Police state with a high level of censorship and central control. I'm happier being free to express my opinions here and pleased to hear alternative points of view as well.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 08:05 PM »
Yes, they have Garp.  And some may have driven after drinking too much, downloaded pirate copies of films, videos, music and software, urinated in a back alley, and failed to declare their full income to HMRC.  Does that mean that all such activities are henceforth to be encouraged ?  That the simple fact that someone has done something means that it is no longer wrong ?

** Phil.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Another storm in a tea cup and another thread derailed :(  I think even the less intelligent among us are aware of copyright, its principles and at whom  it's really aimed to protect.  Whilst technically copyright may have been breached with the content of meggeth's helpful compilation of recipes, I hardly think many of the owners will be particularly bothered, other than one or two .  If they don't like it all they need to do is ask the author to remove them.  The rest of us will take it in the spirit tin which it was created - for the benefit of anybody new to the journey, wanting some good tips and good recipes, all thrown together in one quick reference document.  The biggest advantage - no bickering, no barrack room lawyers or know it alls, no windbags and absolutely 100% ON TOPIC.  The later point being something that all posters should take note of.
I'm sure meggeth is now wishing he had never bothered spending the time it took to put this helpful guide together.  And i'm sure certain people in other "fora", commonly referred to as forums, albeit incorrectly, but who gives a damn, will be rubbing their hands together.  It is very apparent to those of us that have been active here for some time, that behind every bun fight, it's the same individuals stirring things up.  One of them has now gone thankfully but the others remain.  The rest of us just need to learn to bite our tongues, ignore them and get on with the reason that drove us here in the first place -  the cooking of BIR curry and not paragraph 7, subsection 2b of any law pertaining to copyright, pissing up back alleys, speeding or any other common misdamenour.
My sincere apologies to the starter of the thread for adding to the off topic discourse, but even my patience is being tried.  I am getting sick to death of watching this forum tearing itself apart because of pathetic rants and childish bickering.  Can you wonder at it that good solid members join mr know it all's forum given the cloud that constantly decends on this site !!!!
Rant over.  Apologies again meggeth.  Well done on your e-book.  I'm sure many will appreciate your efforts.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Good point, well made CH.

©2024 Curry Recipes