Author Topic: Chef Sam's Live Interview  (Read 52429 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chef Sam's Live Interview
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Interestingly Sam was asked if he prefers the curries of 30 years ago or the ones now and he said definitely the ones now and added that he'd tried the ones of old and they "weren't all that". That, for me doesn't bode well because anyone who has had curries from 20 or 30 years ago knows that they knock the socks off the current crop of curries.

But you seem to be overlooking Sam's explanation of /why/ the curries of yesteryear seemed to taste so much better than those we can buy/eat today -- at that time, as native Britons, our taste buds were virgins when it came to spices -- we might have had a chille con carne, and maybe some mustard or horseradish with our beef, but that was about it.  Curry represented a whole new universe of flavours, and it blew our collective minds.  Now our tastebuds are no longer virgins -- in fact, they are positively sloppy, to take the metaphor to excess -- and spices can no longer arouse the enthusiasm and excitement that they once did.  When Sam first tried a BIR curry, his palate was already totally attuned to the effects of spices, and he did not find them exciting -- indeed, he thought (or even knew) that he could do better. And, over the years, he has perfected his skills so that his curries /are/ better than those of the late 60's/early 70's.  And that may indeed be the case -- sadly I will probably never know, because his restaurant is just too far away for me to experience; but I would certainly value first-hand feedback from anyone who can get over there to taste his dishes, and who also remembers the curries of yesteryear with affection, longing and a sense of nostalgia (and, perhaps, who also remembers them through rose-tinted taste buds).

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Interestingly Sam was asked if he prefers the curries of 30 years ago or the ones now and he said definitely the ones now and added that he'd tried the ones of old and they "weren't all that". That, for me doesn't bode well because anyone who has had curries from 20 or 30 years ago knows that they knock the socks off the current crop of curries.

But you seem to be overlooking Sam's explanation of /why/ the curries of yesteryear seemed to taste so much better than those we can buy/eat today

Not overlooked Phil, just immediately blanked from my consciousness as so much nonsense. Any old stalwart will tell you that the curries of yesteryear were far better than the average curry of today - there is just no room for debate on that. Undoubtedly, as I said elsewhere, this is due to the "Patak effect".

That anyone, who has tried both, thinks the modern Patak'd curries are better than the pre-Patak era is testament to just how far the art has fallen.

I'm tempted to dress in a Patak's-jar fancy-dress-outfit and go around slapping people while shouting "Have you been Patak'd today?" in true Tango-Orange man style (remember him? ;D).

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 07:45 PM »
I'm not a fan of using Patak's pastes, simply because it goes against how I want to create my dishes. I think that the use of such pastes, regardless of the taste, reduces the stature of those preparing the dish from chef to cook.

Throwing in some Patak's paste is obviously easier in a busy TA, but I don't work in a TA, nor do I ever wish to. So I want to recreate the flavour of the TA from the basic elements, without necessarily using the same ingredients or techniques.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the curries of yesteryear were better than todays - nor could I disagree. It's all down to personal taste - like music - some people prefer Kylie to Mozart - who is to say who is right!!

What I would say about Sam's theory on why the curries of yesteryear taste better than todays - remember, Sam is a TA cook, and seems like a decent enough guy, but he isn't an evolutionary biologist - his thoughts shouldn't be taken as fact.

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 08:02 PM »
My first curries were in the late 70s, and they DEFINITELY tasted different than today's curries. I would say overall more consistently good too. I don't think its just the "pataks" effect, but maybe a different way of cooking curries.

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Interesting that Sam mentions places in Nelson Lancs.

Nelson is a place where ideas and modern notions arrive late. No offence meant, but I know - places like Lancashire Tandoori on Scotland Rd. and The Sub Continent on Leeds Rd is where I cut my teeth on curry - quite a while a go :)

Proper Old school stuff

So I reckon Sam has some heritage to go on

Gary

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 10:04 PM »
Sam knows what he knows, which isn't a lot outside of his modern BIR comfort zone.
There are many more well informed members on this forum that know more about Indian cooking as a whole.
A lot of the questions asked were better directed at a chef in his 60's/70's.
I really enjoyed the live feed though, was a good idea.  :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 10:40 PM »
Sam knows what he knows, which isn't a lot outside of his modern BIR comfort zone.
There are many more well informed members on this forum that know more about Indian cooking as a whole.
A lot of the questions asked were better directed at a chef in his 60's/70's.
I really enjoyed the live feed though, was a good idea.  :)

Absolutely. And for this reason I don't think Chris's e-book will be worth a read. I think Chris is a tad naiive regarding BIR curry but that won't stop the book collectors buying it.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 11:08 PM »

I wouldn't be too sure about that. From the videos I've seen, Sam looks like he knows what he's doing. There's also been positive feedback from a taste assessment of his takeaway but how many members on here have tasted other members dishes? Not many. I'd place a bet on Sam producing a good curry over almost anyone on here, but of course I could be wrong. I'm a lot less confident that any amount of interview information or recipes in the long-promised e-book will allow us to cook to the same standard as Sam. He also seems like a very decent bloke so he's the last person I'd want to criticise just because he may not know alternative English names for a certain spice.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 12:29 AM »

There's also been positive feedback from a taste assessment of his takeaway

Yes, by me George!  ;D

I've done nothing but sing his praises from day one, but perhaps the live Q&A should've been aired After the ebook is released?
Then he could answer questions he knows Everything about.   ;)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 11:06 AM »
Theres plenty of people on this site who regard that digital aerial bloke as a top curry chef, but I can give more credence to Chef Sam. One question begs though: how old is he?
Its just that he might not have been old enough to appreciate a curry from the late 70s
Maybe Im wrong...usually am

Cheers

Mick

©2024 Curry Recipes