Author Topic: Chef Sam's Live Interview  (Read 52369 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Chef Sam's Live Interview
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 11:14 AM »
He said that he had been cooking for about 30 years, since he was 14, which would make him about 44 or 45, So he was probably  born in the 70s

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 11:22 AM »
He said he's 45 and born in 69?  :o , or was that came to England in 69?
But started out front of house, so not 30 years cooking experience.
He didnt say when he made the switch from cleaning/serving to being in the kitchen.
I wouldn't of thought they would've allowed a spotty teenager to cook the mains though  :P

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 11:47 AM »
Excellent video, me thinks...

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Yes, by me George!  ;D

I've done nothing but sing his praises from day one, but perhaps the live Q&A should've been aired After the ebook is released?
Then he could answer questions he knows Everything about.   ;)

Sorry, I should have remembered it was you. That visit, and your assessment, must count as one of the most worthwhile things achieved by any member this year. IMHO it's so worthwhile, and I'm very grateful.

As for the timing of various videos, I think both H4C and Julian are into serious marketing exercises, to try and drum up interest and eventual sales.  All the claims and promises sound great but feedback like yours counts for much more. I widh more members tasted each other curries, as well as the output from places like the now defunct c2g takeaway.

As for 70s tastes vs 2013. I agree there's some difference but I think it's over-exaggerated and on balance, I think finer flavours can be found today, if you go to the right restaurants. Too many places produce bland food today, and that was seldom the case in the late 70s and 1980s.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 01:12 PM »
Too many places produce bland food today, and that was seldom the case in the late 70s and 1980s.

Agreed! I just dont remember having a bad curry in the 70's/ early 80's.

Wherever i went in London, a Korma was a Korma and a Pathia was a Pathia etc. Always good and always consistent. Every now and then one stood out from the rest, but it was marginal.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 01:30 PM »
he's the last person I'd want to criticise just because he may not know alternative English names for a certain spice.

Pay attention George!

It's not that he didn't know the alternative name, it's that he'd never heard of hing or asafoetida. That speaks volumes to me.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 01:37 PM »
Too many places produce bland food today, and that was seldom the case in the late 70s and 1980s.

Wherever i went in London, a Korma was a Korma and a Pathia was a Pathia etc. Always good and always consistent. Every now and then one stood out from the rest, but it was marginal.

That's my experience exactly. Very early eighties in London and I could almost guarantee a great curry at any establishment. But they had a unique flavour and aroma that has completely disappeared now. Sam mentioned that they used to boil whole chickens in stock and use that in the base so that has to be a major reason for the changes and, of course, the now ubiquitous devil's pastes from Patak's et al.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 01:43 PM »

Sadly I can.  Having discovered tandoori chicken at the Agra, Whitfield Street (where it, and all their other dishes, were absolutely superb -- the place was invariably packed out with UCL undergrads and the odd lecturer), we went back there religiously Saturday after Saturday.  Then one day, just for a change, we tried Diwan-I-Am, just down the road.  It was complete and utter rubbish.  Date, late 60's (1967/8/9).

** Phil.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 01:45 PM »
the now ubiquitous devil's pastes from Patak's et al.

hahaha  ;D

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 01:50 PM »
  Then one day, just for a change, we tried Diwan-I-Am, just down the road. 

Is that Will's dad? (black eyed peas)  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes