Author Topic: hello everyone..!! i cant make curries... they always taste of oil...yak  (Read 2705 times)

Offline cantgetitright

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have tried doing curries from Dillons curry secret.. they are awful!

What is going on with my base sauce?

I follow the book 100% and the curries taste of oil..??

I have tried another one tonight and am hoping by missing out the oil everything will be OK.

I used to work as a delivery driver for my local indian and have seen how they do it but cant do it at home.

I am very frustrated that i cant replicate a basic "chicken madras"!!!

please help me complete this task.

by the way.... chicken tikka is cooked in two stages... 1) cooked in the tandoor 2) fried in the big pan with onions and lemon juice and a spoonful of magic juice?

thanks

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
As I've already stated to hotbot in another thread PLEASE DO NOT follow any recipes down to the last gram you will very rarely replicate a dish (if ever) that someone else has made just remember LOOK TASTE ADD if needed. You will find  the more you try the more observant you will become.
You could try draining /skimming off the unwanted oil and add further ingredients to this base such as Tomato puree or Pasata or you could boil + blend some more onions and add this to your oily base this will absorb the excess oil and give a better flavour.

On a brighter note the recipes on this website are far better than in the KD book and if there's anything you are not sure of ask and someone will help you.
 ;) Layne
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 07:23 PM by laynebritton »

Offline cantgetitright

• Chef
    • View Profile
thanks for your reply...

do you have a suggestion for the base sauce?

My favourite dish is "madras" which i believe is easily produced once you have mastered the sauce.

When i worked for my local indian they always had a pot of magical sauce on the go.  Also, the trainee shefs peeled onions all day and then put onions, celery, carrots and loads of other things in the big witches cauldron and boiled it to death before mincing with a industrial blender.  When i asked what goes into the pot they replied "many things & many spices"

they produce a meal in minutes!!!

a knob of gee, a spoonful of sauce, 3 0r 4 spices, chuck the chicken in, boil it to death!! then pour it out into the lovely shiny cartons... hey presto... perfect meal..

it has got to be the base sauce that makes the difference?!

thanks

Offline bart09

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
a good recipe to start you off with is darthphall`s 100% clone madras curry it also includes the base sauce aswell, i`ve tried it and it`s fantastic. try it yourself and let us know how you got on.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Hi Cantgetitright you will also see that my Madras recipe contains very little Oil, it is up to you to experiment until you get the amount you prefer.

Link to my Madras  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=674.0

CurryKings is very similar Link to Vindalloo http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=179.0

we have both been helped with these recipes by beating it out of (sorry) by enquiring many times & getting the answers we want  ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 11:02 PM by DARTHPHALL »

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Well , cantgetitright , you will have to decide , based on the sauces posted on this site ( and experimentation ) which base sauce reigns supreme....are you a proponent of lots of oil or less oil and more ingredients . There are a number of superior bases posted that proclaim to be - BIR ( like ) , the best , ultimate , to die for , sub-orgasmic etc. etc. - but in the end it , personal preference will dictate your culinary choice .

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Hi,

As been said there is no one correct base sauce, some people really rate the KD base but i'm like you, I can't stand it.  Best is to try a few out from here and change and adapt them to suit.

cK

©2024 Curry Recipes