Author Topic: Mr Singh has kindly shown us he he makes his base gravy  (Read 30192 times)

Offline dammag

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Singh has kindly shown us he he makes his base gravy
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Thanks Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 08:31 PM »
ebook?

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Hi...will be trying this for sure. Can you just specify what kind of oil are we're using here?

Cheers,

CR

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 10:01 AM »
As BB1 works in an Indian T/A, it is almost certain that Mr Singh would use a commercial catering oil such as KTC.  At home you can use the oil of your choice :  rapeseed is as good as any.

** Phil.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 06:15 PM »
Aussie Mick.

You obviously know about restaurant cooking but do you think that is a lot of oil?

I can cook a curry at home with a chef's spoon of combined oil and ghee with some more oil in the base gravy and eat the curry easily and look for more yet when I go to a local restaurant it is hard to get through a portion of curry as it is so heavy (and the portion is small). To be honest I would rather eat a "lighter" curry with still good taste than struggle to eat a portion. Do BIR's (or the Aussie version) use too much oil?

The average good curry must have a fair proportion of oil in it?

Damian

Sorry dammag I've only just seen this.

I was actually referring to the previous recipes that BB1 had shared that contained massive amounts of oil.

This one seems about right to me.

We normally use one litre of oil in a 25 litre base (which contains about 8 kg of onions) so, 500ml with 4 kg of onions sounds good.

I'll be giving this one a try over the Christmas break. Thanks again BB1 and Mr. Singh

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 07:01 PM »
The video looks the business, I'm looking forward to trying this one - I've never cooked a base for so long. Are there any accompanying curry recipes? I had a quick look and couldn't see any.

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 07:34 PM »
Most of the recipe videos are on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/wulkyboy) and in print form on the RCR forum.  He's just released an e-book with all the "glasgow" recipes, see my post on here in the eBooks section on here for more info:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12626.0.html

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I've just finished a madras and a vindaloo, made using this base and his recipes.
This is REALLY good
I mean    REALLY    good
I tried the mark 1 recipe posted (was it last year?) and that was too oily and generally disapointed my whole family
So I didn't have high hopes for this version

What can I say?
I was absolutely knocked out, and everyone cleared their plates, then wiped them round with their fingers for the last drops of sauce!!!

I recommend everyone to try this

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 11:45 PM »
I've just finished a madras and a vindaloo, made using this base and his recipes.
This is REALLY good
I mean    REALLY    good
I tried the mark 1 recipe posted (was it last year?) and that was too oily and generally disapointed my whole family

What can I say?
I was absolutely knocked out, and everyone cleared their plates, then wiped them round with their fingers for the last drops of sauce!!!

Nice one Haldi ! All about the onions

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 08:45 AM »
This is REALLY good
I mean    REALLY    good

What can I say?

I keep meaning to try this I brought the book recently,now you have Haldi and found it good I shall certainly give it a go.I must admit I did try the last base as well.Clearly too much oil in that one although my curries were still very good.

©2024 Curry Recipes