Author Topic: Yet another terrible disappointment, Paddock Wood  (Read 7641 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Yet another terrible disappointment, Paddock Wood
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:11 PM »
Because all restaurants are entitled to one off-night, I decline to name the restaurant in question, but it has been in the same location for the last 30 years and was recommended to me by a professional English chef who lives nearby.  The restaurant was empty when I arrived (maybe 21:00) but the welcome was friendly, as was the service.  Sadly that is virtually the last good thing I have to report.  The tandoori chicken starter tasted stale (the sort of flavour you get from roast chicken breast on day two), was dry, and was lacking in flavour.  If this had been my first experience of tandoori chicken, I would never have ordered it a second time.  The chicken madras was abysmal :  a pale orange sauce almost devoid of any flavour other than (perhaps) onion.  The egg pulao had none of the aromatics I would expect from a good pulao rice.  The saag aloo remains untried (I was too disappointed with the starter and main course to be interested in trying it this evening).  The keema naan was OK, not a bad exemplar to be honest.  I have retained 2/3 of the chicken madras and will re-spice it tomorrow; I will probably attempt to enliven the egg pulao at the same time.  I have eaten the tandoori chicken, but only because I was still ravenous when I abandoned the Madras.  Yet another place to which I shall never return.  Next to try will be in Tenterden -- highly recommended by one of our members, but not yet tried by me.  Stay tuned.

** Phil.

P.S. Just tried the saag aloo, so that any shortcomings detected are not attributable to having been kept overnight.  It tastes of potato and spinach.  If I try /very/ hard, I might be able to detect a little hing.  Nothing else.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:19 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another terrible disappointment, Paddock Wood
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:10 PM »
Your reports/reviews are of a real interest to me. I have had similar results from the 'recommended' local BIR's. I'm never quite sure if it's a decline in the quality of the food or my tastebuds expecting more, especially since I have learned how to cook a decent curry. Today I had a curry day, made a new batch of base, fresh mix & GM powders, pre-cooked chicken, GG paste, and so on. Also, I knocked up a 'takeaway' I promised my Son and his wife, he told me it was the best he had ever had!  This might well be down to my cooking but more likely down to the deterioration of the aforementioned BIR's. I think if it wasn't for CRO and the folks that have moved on I would still be eating bland curries.
Not sure if I have made a relevant point but there does seem to be a recurring theme on declining BIR's.

Cheers,
Ken

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:22 PM »
My feeling is that there is a genuine (and serious) decline.  When I moved here just four years ago, I reviewed the local BIR (not the one reviewed above) in truly glowing terms, commenting in particular on "the breadth and depth of flavour of the Madras sauce".  Sadly there is no way I could make that comment today, but even on a very bad day the local Madras is still five times better than tonight's from Paddock Wood.

** Phil.

Offline skadupuk

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 11:26 PM »
I have lived in Paddock Wood off and on for just over 20 years (moved down here when I was 12) and the restaurant you refer to has never been much to shout about so I wouldn't say it's a decline.

Given there are some very, very decent options in a 5/6 mile radius it seems to trade on folk who refuse to change their eating habits.

For alternative options I can recommend the Turmeric Gold in Tudely (though they are victims of their own success and the eat in service is slipping due to how busy they get) and the Kirthon down the Pantiles in Tunbridge Wells

p.s. Whilst I admire your generosity in giving them anonymity, there is only one BIR restaurant (as in eat in) in PW so it's easy to track down should anyone want to.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Many thanks for your comments, Skadapuk.  I re-spiced the remains and ended up with a dish that would not have disgraced most restaurants, so all was not lost, but I still wonder whether I was really unlucky on that night (had the chef already left, because there were no customers, and only a sous- or commis-chef remained on duty ?).  I have indeed tried both Turmeric Gold and the Kirthon.  The former has without doubt the best ambience I have ever experienced in a modern Indian restaurant, but the food was average and distinctly over-priced; what we paid
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:03 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 12:04 AM »
Met up with the chef who had recommended the restaurant in Paddock Wood this evening, and took him to task about the rubbishy food they served.  "Oh, I only ever go there when I'm pissed" was his reply.  Chefs !

** Phil.

Offline skadupuk

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 11:07 PM »
I haven't tried the Raja but have heard good things, with the number of Indians in the near vicinity (living in Paddock Wood, working in Tunbridge Wells) I have historically struggled to make it that far out, though I am tempted to pop out there at some point to give it a go and grab some Bidenden cider, which is excellent.

Also having two very small children now, I am relying a lot more on takeaways/delivery's for my fix so that also limits my range somewhat.

Tumeric Gold has got a few mixed reviews on Trip Advisor now, but I can honestly say I have always had a top notch meal from their, maybe our differing reports reflect on the dishes we had?

I used to live down the road opposite Junahki and have a fondness for it and it's unusual tables. I liked Mooli a lot, but didn't think it was outstanding, though it did offer something a little different.

Cochin Marine in Tunbridge Wells is nice if you get a chance. It's South Indian so a different slant, my wife and I love it as we honeymooned in Sri Lanka and the flavours bring back fond memories.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:21 PM »
Also having two very small children now, I am relying a lot more on takeaways/delivery's for my fix so that also limits my range somewhat.

So how do you rate Saffron, from whom I picked up a T/A menu when I was passing this afternoon ?

Cochin Marine in Tunbridge Wells is nice if you get a chance. It's South Indian so a different slant, my wife and I love it as we honeymooned in Sri Lanka and the flavours bring back fond memories.

Went there regularly in its previous incarnation, when the size of the masala dosa had to be seen to be believed !  Planning to go back to it again soon, with anglo-Indian friends with a vegetarian bent.

** Phil.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 09:36 PM »
hi phil I saw your comment about the raja of kent actually in the outskirts of tenterden mate lol! anyway I think you should try its original in st michaels called Mouchak! it is not quite as big but it is very very good and it is run by rajs' brother ... Rupon its where they train up their chefs before sending them off to the raj! and its only a little bit further than the raja but the raja is more about the entertainment ie elvis or Michael Jackson! only tried it 1 and of all the people to serve under cooked bombay aloo ie still hard they picked me! never tried there again as when I phoned to complain raj wasn't there so not much was done about it! lol im not trying to put you off as the the food will be pretty much the same but as you know from experience the just because a restaurant is busy everything is rushed and if you say you know gary you might get a look in the kitchen too! ;D ( only if you as if rupon is there)
regards
gary

Offline skadupuk

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 11:00 PM »

So how do you rate Saffron, from whom I picked up a T/A menu when I was passing this afternoon ?

Hmmm.......

I really like the guys from there. But to be honest, whilst I would not describe the food as bad, it is blindingly average.

I do use it (mostly as I am too lazy/busy with the kids to go out, and they are on Just Eat so I can pay by card) and have never disliked the food, but I would never recommend it as a good choice if you have the mobility/freedom to travel somewhere else.

Their naans are a always a disappointment as well.

©2024 Curry Recipes