Author Topic: santoku knives  (Read 8793 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
santoku knives
« on: October 14, 2013, 11:40 PM »
I've been wanting to purchase an all around versatile and high quality knife for sometime. I have a Wusthof chef's knife which is my main knife, but it's not the top of the line. I do need to run it through the AnySharp every second week. It is a very good knife, but I'm finding it somewhat slow for certain tasks.

I'm looking at Amazon to make my purchase and I'm confused about which to pick (but more inclined towards the first link below) aside from the model number and handle colour, I can't spot any other difference between these two knives that justifies the additional

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: santoku knives
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:03 AM »
Maybe try to work out the difference(s) by comparing these two pages :

I would suspect you are paying for the "handle made of Grenadill wood (African Blackwood) - one of the hardest types of wood in the world. All farming is limited to a small quantity and government- controlled "

** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:11 AM »
Thanks Phil, sounds like you are right on the money. As I'm not too picky about the material of the handle, I'll go with the 93

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:39 AM »
Hi Goncalo, I haven't looked at the links you posted, but have you considered a ceramic knife?

I bought one about a year ago, and if you are careful with it, it will you serve up you well.  Not an all round knife for sure, but ultra sharp.  Very good for non hard vegetables (I wouldn't use it for carrots). Onions fine. Having said that though, you have to be very very careful not to chip its brittle blade.  Never needs sharpening... If you tried to though it would smash.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:47 AM »
Thanks rshome123! I've never heard about ceramic knives... going to do some research, thanks for the tips. Any brands standing out? :)

Offline Tanta

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 01:32 PM »
Hi Goncalo, I haven't looked at the links you posted, but have you considered a ceramic knife?

I bought one about a year ago, and if you are careful with it, it will you serve up you well.  Not an all round knife for sure, but ultra sharp.  Very good for non hard vegetables (I wouldn't use it for carrots). Onions fine. Having said that though, you have to be very very careful not to chip its brittle blade.  Never needs sharpening... If you tried to though it would smash.
i've got such a knife it's really cool!!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Of course, you could also (try to) impress your more gullible friends with a set of these ...

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Of course, you could also (try to) impress your more gullible friends with a set of these ...

I have such a set.  In the box at the back of a cupboard.  Although the set did come with 2 plastic lemon juice thingies, which I use all the time.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 08:56 AM »
For some years the Japanese have been marketing knives her in the West
Some are good ,some are very good, some are not that good at all " fashion" items
The best thing I ever done to get a good knife was to have a word with my local butcher they use them 8 hours a day,
Some if they have the time will show you how to sharpen them, and which to buy at the right price ;)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Good advice ox.
Or better still, find the business that does Butchers Supplies. There is one with 5 km of my place and they are a great source of a range of stuff.

©2024 Curry Recipes