Author Topic: santoku knives  (Read 8729 times)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: santoku knives
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Hi
Smithfield brand from Sheffield UK, work tools.
Regards

Offline TheCurryBible

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 11:44 AM »
Hey not sure if I'm too late, and the purchase has already been made. But for what it's worth, I've used Santoku knives in the past, I still own a couple of they're nice knives, however I tend to find myself using Global's version of a Nakiri/Santoku far more often than the more traditional wide blade Santokus. I've used various cheaper knives and always struggled to keep a decent edge on them, then I bought a couple of Global's and the rest is history. Never used Wusthoff, but I believe they're just as good as the Global's. Robert Welch knives are also very, very good and considerably cheaper than the more prestigious brand name offerings.

This is the knife I'm talking about, it seems to be much closer to a Nakiri, than a Santoku in my opinion: http://www.globalknives.uk.com/range/gs-series-chefs-knives/gs-5-global-14cm-vegetable-cleaver

Also, this seems very, very similar but currently at half the price: http://www.steamer.co.uk/chopping_preparing/knives_scissors/chefs_knives/global_michel_roux_jr_usuba_knife.htm It's now also being called an Usuba, which from what I understand means it's almost identical to the above, but sharpened only on one side of the blade. I've never used it, so can't comment other than that.

Between that, my chef's knife and my smaller utility knife I'm pretty much done. The only other knife I use (very rarely) is my Chinese cleaver, and that's usually for delimbing / decapitating something.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 01:13 PM »
The only other knife I use (very rarely) is my Chinese cleaver, and that's usually for delimbing / decapitating something.

Something dead, I very much hope !
** Phil.

Offline TheCurryBible

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 02:37 PM »
Indeed! I was very surprised at how much force is actually required to cut a (dead) duck's head off. Tough little buggers.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 12:16 AM »
TCB
Yes, you are a bit late for the OP (13 months) as @goncalo hasn

Offline TheCurryBible

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 07:04 AM »
Must admit, I never realised santoku blades were asymmetric / handed. Have you considered a gyuto instead ? You may find it more useful than a nakiri, considering the knives in your collection already.

Offline TheCurryBible

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 09:04 AM »

But a good plug for Global and Steamer Trading, nevertheless.

Before anyone asks, I have no affiliation with Global or Steamer, I just like their products / customer service.

A lot of my friends think I'm being a snob recommending "expensive" Global knives, but to be fair compared to the likes of Yaxell, I O Shen, Ken and especially Bloodroot Blades, Global's are positively cheap. I must admit I love Robert Welch knives too, which are very reasonably priced.

I just think in this day and age everyone is willing to scream and shout when they get bad service or a bad product, but very few sing the praises of those who deserve it. I wrote an article on my site a while back about some exceptional customer service I received from Le Creuset. I think it's worth mentioning the good guys now and again.  :D

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Apart from impressing peeps with what a knife costs and trendy name dropping
Is not a good English steel butchers knife, when the owners has learned how  to sharpen hone it a better deal ? ;D

Offline TheCurryBible

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Apart from impressing peeps with what a knife costs and trendy name dropping
Is not a good English steel butchers knife, when the owners has learned how  to sharpen hone it a better deal ? ;D

bit unweildy for certain jobs?

©2024 Curry Recipes