Author Topic: Been away for a while - have i missed anything interesting?  (Read 6815 times)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hello spice devils ! glad to see everyone is still here and on the quest for the 100% curry

I have been on a quest to learn pizza and Italian food for a few months and had a lot of fun doing so!

However the old habits die hard and it wasn't long before the aroma of boiling onions filled the house as I made some base gravy ! 

Have I missed much this year?, such as good new curry books, or new recipies or techniques?
Cheers

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Been away for a while - have i missed anything interesting?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Welcome back, Derek.  It has been a fairly typical year for CR0, with a number of new members and a number of reports of ever-greater success in the search for the 100% BIR clone.  No new e-books that I can recall, although one is (now) promised for "early next year" but the old staples such as CBM's and Bruce Edwards continue to stand the test of time.  Tell us all about your quest for the perfect pizza, and others will undoubtedly tell you about their quest for the perfect curry in return.

* Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:43 PM »
I can only echo Phil's welcome to your return to the forum Derek. Good to see you back and this post got me thinking about others who've not posted for a while, like Bobby Bhuna and Chinois. Where are they now?

Phil has covered the key "highlights" I think, oh and a former member has set up a rival site which some people have joined then been removed by the moderator for reasons that are unclear (megalomania)  ;).

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Here here DD

oh and a former member has set up a rival site which some people have joined then been removed by the moderator for reasons that are unclear (megalomania)  ;).
That's because he's now chief cook and bottle washer.  But the site will always be in the shadow of this one  ::)

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:57 AM »
Here here DD

oh and a former member has set up a rival site which some people have joined then been removed by the moderator for reasons that are unclear (megalomania)  ;).
That's because he's now chief cook and bottle washer.  But the site will always be in the shadow of this one  ::)

HEAR HEAR!!!!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:04 AM »
CA?

I won't have a word said against him!

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:38 AM »
I hate to sound like the devil's advocate, but being a user of both sites, I don't feel like one is stealing the space from the other. Making claims such as "CA's forum will always live in the shadow of cr0" is perhaps dismissive of the fact that this community has been going since 2006, so I don't think comparing apples against pineapples will prove anything or do justice to one over the other (is bigger always better? the short answer is: It depends.)

I think what it comes down to is, some people here disliked CA and some people admired him. Those who disliked CA's style (at least, from my understanding as I didn't remember reading anything and can only assume the gist of it happened before I joined the forum, the style he conveyed during his last months as a moderator of cr0) will continue to support this community and the others who have no issues with CA will be able to join an emerging community with less attrition and a slightly stricter "indian cuisine only"  (i.e no non-curry chat section, but no one frowns upon the occasional non-curry comment being thrown in) forum.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 06:46 AM »
Hi Derek,

Like you, I have been away for some time but I am now back at the UNI and have started posting "BULK" recipes which are as close to BIR as you can get.

I am also now on a Monday working with our Chinese Chef learning the Wok techniques and Chinese recipes she makes, and will be posting some Chinese recipes soon if peeps are interested.

Welcome back mate :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 03:26 PM »
I hate to sound like the devil's advocate, but being a user of both sites, I don't feel like one is stealing the space from the other.

My fear is that it disperses the R&D effort and increases the time needed to keep abreast of any developments if you're forever visiting three or four forums, to avoid missing anything useful. It was probably too much to hope that this forum would never have rivals but I don't think these other forums are in the public interest.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Agreed George. But, my experience also tells me that these forums can only help you so much in your R&D. The experience will come from the actual doing, rather than from just absorbing the information. I am pretty sure we know all we need by now and what we think we need, only comes from practice. :)

©2024 Curry Recipes