Author Topic: Been away for a while - have i missed anything interesting?  (Read 6834 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Been away for a while - have i missed anything interesting?
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 06:10 PM »
Agreed George. But, my experience also tells me that these forums can only help you so much in your R&D. The experience will come from the actual doing, rather than from just absorbing the information. I am pretty sure we know all we need by now and what we think we need, only comes from practice. :)

I can't argue there. I started to spend more time in the kitchen and a bit less online around the start of this year. It's starting to pay dividends. For example, 2 nights ago I made a chicken biriani using my own ideas of a worthwhile approach. It's like no other approach or recipe I've ever seen but it doesn't cost more in ingredients or take any more time. It was probably one of the tastiest birianis I've ever had anywhere at any time. As always, I have no idea if I can repeat it, to produce such a tasty result next time.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 10:13 AM »
DD,

good to see you back. big pizza fan myself and Italian mains sometimes (still loving UB's pasta bake). looking forward to any posts.

as for BIR changes - none for me. i've shortened my base times (from a what why when analysis), i've also switched temporarily to hot fry spices in oil (no difference to date).

i just switched to watering tom puree - i did this in the past but watching the chef at my local TA got me to using it neat. i think with the added water i can adjust the amount better to suit each dish type.

i'm now using both BBC (CRO) and ITV (CA's). i don't have a problem. CRO can have to much aggro for me and useless posts - i hardly read any now to the extreme that i can miss important ones. the other site is friendly and more food focused. it perhaps lacks a tad of expertise overall.

do i care - my family have told me to stop messing as i they don't see a need. when it's in your blood though and you've tasted the best BIR can produce then why stop enjoying yourself even if the step from say 9 to 10 is very difficult to put a finger on.

best wishes,

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 09:21 PM »
For example, 2 nights ago I made a chicken biriani using my own ideas of a worthwhile approach. It's like no other approach or recipe I've ever seen but it doesn't cost more in ingredients or take any more time. It was probably one of the tastiest birianis I've ever had anywhere at any time. As always, I have no idea if I can repeat it, to produce such a tasty result next time.

Happy for your progress in the biryani arena. I have tried it several times, but the outcome is always a bit disappointing compared to my references. I reckon I haven't done any real attempts in recent months

It would be great if you did share your concoction as a way to document your personal progress while memory may still be fresh. I would certainly be interested in this kind of information myself as I love a good biryani.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Actually, CBM came out with a Volume 2, which you might not be aware about. Very good!

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 10:56 AM »
Of all your comments , I was certainly surprised that CA has his own site ! 

that must be a scary web site to stumble across !   :)

Is the ratio of trolls to regular users about 9:1  lol     only joking

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 10:23 PM »
never a more true word said in jest DD!

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 03:32 PM »
Who is CBM?  And what are his books called?  Thanks.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 05:48 PM »
CBM is "Curry Barking Mad", a.k.a. Mick Crawford.  One book is called "British Indian Restaurant Style Cooking E-Book." and the other "BIR Style Cooking E-Book. Volume 2.", both available here.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes