Author Topic: Urgent Help Needed!!!  (Read 1722 times)

Offline MartinsCurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
Urgent Help Needed!!!
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Hello fellow curry fans.
I cooked my first curry tonight and it was dismal...To say the least...
Yesterday, I made (curry2go's) base gravy. Everything went as planned until it was finally cooked. About 2 and a half hours. I had it on a low flame. My pot did not half by content so couldnt re-fill pot with same amount of water. I actually could put 2 cups of water and that was all. I used a pressure cooker pot (as per Julian) for a smaller amount to begin with. Just the pot!! not the lid..
When it finally cooked (down) hate that fraze, it was about three quarters of the pot still or more..
I hand blended for ages and it still wasn't a perfect smooth sauce. That's probably because of the lack of water added.
I attempted the Madras. Had everything ready, 50-50 garlic and ginger paste, 50-50 tomato puree and water. Cooked as per instruction (almost OCD). Right from the start the tomato paste was separating in the oil, the spices did bring it back to a paste. The thick base sauce did add more flavour but was way too thick. I added a cup of water towards the end to dilute the stiffness.
Overall, it looked ok, smelt differant to what I had expected and the taste was definately not a madras. I bought all spices (Rajah). My guineapig wasn't amused...
Base sauce was, 9 onions, 1/3 cabbage, 2 carrots, half green and half red pepper, chefs spoon G+G .
Cooked it for ages then added the plum tomatoes and blended. Added the spices, cooked again and blended once more.
The Madras was not and no nowhere near the (smell, Taste or texture) of the BIR I was dreaming of..
Please help chaps.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent Help Needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:20 PM »
Don't panic Martin.  All is not yet lost.  In order to help can you tell me if you pressure cooked it or cooked it simply on the stove?
If it's the later i suggest place half of it back into a large pot, add a third as much much water, bring to the boil and then simmer for another hour to an hour and a half.  Allow to cool and then blend thoroughly until very smooth.  If you're using a stick blender you may need to allow this to rest in between sessions to cool down.  Add further water and mix in until you have a thin soup consistancy that runs off a spoon and leaves it virtually clean.  Repeat the process with the other half of the base.  Portion the base up and freeze.
Watch CT's video on how to make a madras, studying the hot frying technique closely, and keep practicing it.  Next time use a base for which there is plenty of forum support available, ie, Chewy Tikka's, Taz's or Zaals.
Good luck and let us know how you get on with recovering the situation.
here's the link, just omit the underscore at the start
_http://vimeo.com/33663388

Offline MartinsCurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 06:59 AM »
Thanks curryhell.
I did not pressure cook it, simply used the pot as its a decent size. When I get home tonight I will halve it and do as you suggest.
But will certainly try the others bases too. Martin.

Offline MartinsCurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:27 PM »
OK, I did halve the base sauce, added the water, boiled for for a while then simmered for a while. oil on top suggesting it's ready..Thanks Curryhell...

Immediately, the smell was the same as the night before. NOT my desired smell.
My guineapig said "exactly the same"..To be honest, it smells more like an Indian persons home cooking. Not the takeaway smell. Now, for some that might be a good thing. For me however, it's not.
Do I blame the base sauce as this has the smell I don't desire?
I am sure it's a combination of all..
My G+G seems to separate (50,50) and a bit of oil. Then my tom puree (50,50) seperates too!! I did cook each spice slightly longer tonight (without burning) But tasted exactly the same as last night. Even the smell after addind the water and boiling. I don't personally think this base is my taste. But they are all very much alike. I wish I had a friend in a takeaway..
Anyway, Saturday's curry with my sisters and kids is now a chinese takeaway!! The curry near here has changed hands and is totally bland, Worse than mine..
I am still with everybody on this forum about a (chef's) spoon. 2 tblsp? 3tblsp? I did try slightly less tonight and also slightly more. Both gave the same result only slightly hotter with same taste.
I await in anticipation for some help/suggestions. Thank you. Martin.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 12:26 AM »
I think you will need to try and cook a curry, not just mess about with the base in order to develop the smell reminiscent of a TA. I find if you follow c2g's recipe for byriani, which involves burning the spices a bit beyond the norm as he puts it, you will get those concentrated smells of a TA as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 05:58 PM by goncalo »

©2024 Curry Recipes