Author Topic: Chicken Garlic Naga courtesy of CBM  (Read 10533 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Garlic Naga courtesy of CBM
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 08:38 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments guys but the credit must go to CBM, the recipe provider.  All I did was cook it, and I actually think I managed to get it right for a change  ??? ::) For those wise enough to have the book, do try it with adjustments for heat if necessary; scaling down the chilli powder rather than Mr Naga  ;D
Heatwise i'd book it at very hot madras but mild vindaloo. So, not quite rocket fuel SL  ;D
For any Mr Naga fans this is definitely a hit.  Once you're hooked on it, it requires some restraint not to add it to all curries  :o :o  Alas Naga, i'm stuck with electric for the time being.  I've learnt over the years how to get the best from my hob albeit 240volts.  But the approach and timing has to mastered to achieve good results.  Basically, you need to know your stove.  But isn't that true of any cooker, gas or electric???
I would like to think that you can get better or at least as good a looking dish somewhere in your area Naga with equally good flavours?  According to many from your neck of the woods, by which I mean Glasgow, the curries there are up there with the best.  Not sure whether their expectations are different from yours or if you have a wider experience of BIR and therefore are trying to achieve a different standard?
Re. my pilau, simply spiced pilau and easy to cook and driven soley by having to use electric.  But i produced and perfected it on gas first before i moved  some 20 years ago ;D.  Doubt it'll be  a lot different to many on here but for me it defintely works and is very easy and nowadays second nature.  I can hear others saying the same  ;D Will be good to get your feedback if you get round to trying it mate.  By the way, letter is in the post.
Your customers are definitely in for a treat with this month's special then Mick  :P :P  They'll be wanting it all the time next  ;D Not sure how close Pran naga pickle is, but i'm sure with a bit of tweaking you can get close to Mr Naga.  No doubt the price of importing is prohibitive. 

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 04:26 PM »
You won't be disappointed SD.  You may want to up the chilli powder to  your tastes at a later date.  Looking forward to your feed back on this one mate.

And here it is!

Made this one twice over the weekend, and both (though I say it myself) were superb.

The first was done pretty much to CBM's spec, although as always I used chicken thigh meat rather than breast (precooked the BIR way, natch), and ramped up the chilli powder from a teaspoon to a tablespoon.

The verdict? Gorgeously garlicky, moreish and with just enough of that fruity, smoky Mr Naga action going on to keep you in full attack mode from start to finish. Loved it.

For the second, I used my favourite curry meat (next to goat): mutton.

This time, I decided that "just enough" of that fruity, smoky Mr Naga action would not be enough for a mutton dish, so the quantity was doubled up to two tablespoons.

And this time I also made up a batch of CBM's special mix powder, too.

To be honest I wasn't expecting to notice much difference. After all, a mix powder is a mix powder is a mix powder. Right?

Wrong.

I've been getting complacent of late, always defaulting to the same old mix, so I was more than pleasantly surprised at the difference a change made. (I won't give CBM's recipe away, but it involves grinding some whole spices and adding them to the usual powdered suspects.)

I also reduced the sauce to almost bhuna-like consistency, and finished off with a good squeeze of fresh lemon.

Now, the chicken dish was superb, but the mutton was off the scale. Possibly my favourite curry of 2013, and one I shall be making again (and again).

Cheers for the inspiration, CH!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Good report as always SD.  Based on your 2nd attempt with a ramp up on the naga, a change of mix powder and a  more bhuna consistancy, you've just put the dish back on the radar with some of my pre-cooked CBM sheep  ;D ;D  Certainly seems a dish worthy of it.  I take it the Mr naga remained in balance with the rest of the ingredients or was it in your face  ::)
I've still got some left over dhansak from Saturday and a whole large portion of NIS too.  Mmm, can feel curry coming on tonight  :P

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 06:29 PM »
There's no doubt that doubling up the Mr Naga to two tablespoons did tip the balance of the dish more towards a Naga dominant affair, but as I love the stuff this was by no means a bad thing. And it did work well with the stronger flavour of the mutton.

However, I'd recommend that anyone trying CBM's recipe for the first time should stick to the quantities advised, which give a great garlic/naga balance and a medium hot curry that will present no problems to anyone who enjoys a Madras.

And I'd also recommend that they try his mix powder (from the second book).

Right. That's got the curry juices flowing. Think I'll be joining you in one tonight, CH!

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 01:45 AM »
Hi SD

I have just bought the CBM books but have yet to make anything from them. I've just managed to locate a local supplier of Mr Naga so from your report I may make this recipe first. Can I ask, did you use the gravy from book 1 or 2 as they are very different. And have you ever tried mix powder 2 from ebook 1, the one that contains ginger and garlic powder? If so what do you think of it?

Regards

Mike
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:15 AM by MushroomMike »

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 11:15 AM »
I can't speak for CH, but I used my own base gravy, which over the decades has metamorphosised into an amalgamation of the best bits of all the base gravies I've ever tried. Having tried both of CBM's base recipes, I'd go for the one in book two, but to be honest, any of the bases you'll find on this site from the likes of Chewytikka, Zaal, CA, Little India, etc., etc., will work perfectly.

I have tried the mix powder from CBM's first book, and it's absolutely fine, but I'm not a huge fan of adding garlic and ginger powder. Much rather use the fresh versions in the base and final curry. The mix powder in book two is definitely worth trying though, as the addition of freshly ground whole spices does lend it a certain vibrancy.

All of the above is, of course, entirely subjective personal opinion!

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 12:15 AM »
Thanks. Apologies CH perhaps I should have put the gravy question to you seeing as it was you who you actually started the thread!! ??? On your advice SD I'll probably use the one from book 2 as it's a bit different to what I've made in the past. The other one with it's cabbage and coconut block reminds me of Chef Shah's garabi which is one I've already done before.

I'm presuming for the special mix powder it wants you to grind the cardamoms up "pods n all"?

Thanks for the advice.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 09:01 AM »
I'm presuming for the special mix powder it wants you to grind the cardamoms up "pods n all"?

I personally would not.  The pods are fibrous in the extreme, and contribute little or nothing to the flavour. I would remove the seeds (actually, I buy them as seeds for this purpose) and just grind those. 

** Phil.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 03:22 PM »

I personally would not.  The pods are fibrous in the extreme, and contribute little or nothing to the flavour. I would remove the seeds (actually, I buy them as seeds for this purpose) and just grind those. 

** Phil.

It depends entirely on the grinder. I was seriously impressed with the way my little Krups grinder (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-Twin-Blade-Coffee-Version/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383837523&sr=8-3&keywords=coffee+grinder) coped not just with green cardamoms, but black ones too.

When grinding a small quantity of whole spices I find it helps to add some of the rest of the powdered ingredients to the grinder. (It doesn't work very well if things are just ratttling around inside and bouncing off the sides.) 

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 03:43 PM »
Well, OK, I'm not suggesting that it is impossible, but I do query whether grinding the pod has any benefit.  Not only does the pod have almost no flavour, but you will end up with fibrous particles (albeit finely ground fibrous particles) that would not (IMHO) add anything to the finished dish.  If you are unconvinced that the pod has almost no flavour, split one open using a sharp knife (so as not to crush the seeds and release the essential oils) and try chewing the pod; I think you will find it almost tasteless.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes