Author Topic: The results of a little experiment  (Read 11523 times)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The results of a little experiment
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 04:10 AM »
Look fantastic CH............Wow.....lucky workmates. 8)

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 09:45 PM »
I'll post the recipes over the next few days in the correct section of the forum and wait for the feedback from you all  ;)

Awesome - eagerly awaiting them!  I've had a number of attempts at making the pastry - have tried different recipes with unique ingredients and I still can't get the consistency/texture right after frying.  The result has been tasty filling that I could have just eaten without all the effort wasted on the sub-par crust!!

I will definitely be trying and reporting back immediately - the fryer is standing by!  ;D

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 12:23 AM »
Wow! Those look awesome mate, really neat and professional! An Indian lady showed me how to make samosas but yours look even better than hers. I too would be interested to try your version so please do post the recipes for dough and fillings! ;)

You're right those filo ones are a far cry from proper ones. I like to put a teaspoon of ajwain seeds in my samosa dough. It gives them that extra "something".  8)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 07:16 AM »
I like to put a teaspoon of ajwain seeds in my samosa dough. It gives them that extra "something".  8)
Absolutely or maybe even kalonji  :D  Thanks for all the positive comments.  I'll try to get this posted up over the weekend

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 10:22 PM »
I like to put a teaspoon of ajwain seeds in my samosa dough. It gives them that extra "something".  8)

I've actually seen this in a number of the (good) prepared samosas I've bought as well as some of the restaurant ones here in the states.  I definitely think it adds a nice touch.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 10:06 PM »
For those that want to try my recipe, i have just finished the rather long write up and have asked my proof reader to check it out for any damning errors or naff instructons.  So it should be posted in the very near future  ;D 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:16 AM by curryhell »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Nice one, CH - looking forward to it! :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Look delicious CH. Love the bubbling effect of the pastry, an indication of a proper samosa.  My efforts to date have been poor to say the least, so I resort to ready-made frozen, some are OK, except for the pastry, which is never right.  My local TA however has just got a new brand in (Spicy Bites) and they have the best ready-made pastry I've ever seen/tasted.  I know where they got them from. On special offer at 2 bags (40 samosas) for a fiver!  Going to pop out later and get some. I will try to make some samosas again one day, but for the moment I'm going to be lazy.

Rob  :)     

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 04:51 PM »
Love the bubbling effect of the pastry, an indication of a proper samosa. 
Totally agree Rob.  That's what sets them aside from the horrid filo pastry things.  Trouble is at a

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 06:19 PM »
Excellent!  Looks like I should set aside time to make a batch or two of samosas this weekend!

Without the bubbled pastry it just isn't the same - have tried many frozen brands but only one here in the states that I've found has anything close to the right pastry and they aren't exactly cheap!

©2024 Curry Recipes