Author Topic: Saturday night's curry  (Read 2058 times)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Saturday night's curry
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:23 PM »
I did a bit of a mixture for Saturday night. The first curry is a fried Aubergine curry ( vegetables; healthy and all that!). I looked around the site and there's not much for aubergines which is suprising since they're used extensively on the sub-continent. I regularly go to the little snacky Sri-Lanki places around Gare du Nord and there's always an aubergine side dish in the Thali, this is always delicious. I wanted to recreate this recipe but instead I came across this Fried aubergine recipe which caught my eye.

http://mytamilkitchen.com/2012/09/22/fried-eggplant-curry/

Very nice it was too, not the usual BIR taste, pungent and smokey.

The main dish was the family favourite - NIS (madras hot). Curryhell's recipe  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,5948.0.html . This always comes out well and today was no exception, lovely oil seperation. I've finally worked out how to caramelise the sauce on my induction.

Lastly, I bought some frozen parotta. The missus wanted to make them herself but unexpected visitors put paid to that! As she was cooking them she kept repeating 'these are not parottas'. Our local Sri-Lanki restaurant make these in front of you. They are thick, soft and flaky. These are more like a pancake. Having said that they are much better than frozen naan.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday night's curry
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:46 PM »
A great looking spread there fried. Have you tried currhyhell's brinjal bhaji? It's a superb tasting dish if you like aubergine.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,7778.0.html

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:24 PM »
All looking very good there Fried.  That aubergine dish looks interesting  :)  Glad the family like the NIS.  Have you tried my Elacihi NIS.  Similar but different.  Maybe they'll enjoy that one too.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:42 PM »
Hi Fried
Interesting use for Brinjjal, I really can't get enough of Bengali Brinjal Fry, but rarely use it in a curry,
But I can imagine it still keeps its flavour in a light coconut milk and curry leaf sauce.

Might well experiment with these flavours.
Thanks for sharing. ;)
cheers Chewy

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Thanks everyone. CurryHell's aubergine dish was already on my to-do list. The reason I never make the Elachi version of the NIS is that I don't really like the taste of Patak's stuff and I can't be bothered buying all the pastes to make the 'red masala' sauce. I'll probably make it one day though.

Do you have a link to the Bengal brinjal fry recipe Chewy?

©2024 Curry Recipes