Hi all 1st post  only joined today

Had a quick read around the different post,     is it best to use a base

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: bases
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:34 PM »
In a word, yes.  It really is the base that differentiates BIR curries from traditional. Until I made my first base (KD1), I had never succeeded in making a  curry that was even vaguely BIR-like.  As soon as I adopted the idea of a base, all curries thereafter were (a) BIR-like, and (b) infinitely better than any curry I had cooked before.  After years of practice, I can now cook a BIR-like curry without a base, but (a) it takes much longer than with one, and (b) it still requires the knowledge that is most easily gained when cooking /with/ a base to inform the other steps involved.

** Phil.

Offline john the man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:07 PM »
thanks Phil

what base do you use

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 08:13 PM »
I personally use Kris Dhillon's base, taken from "The Curry Secret" (1989 edition), modified for cooking in a pressure cooker.  The recipe is here.  But there are many other good bases on here, which I am sure others will recommend; I can think of at least half a dozen that are mentioned on a regular basis.

** Phil.

Offline john the man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:14 PM »
thanks  a great help

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 08:19 PM »
In a word, yes.  It really is the base that differentiates BIR curries from traditional. Until I made my first base (KD1), I had never succeeded in making a  curry that was even vaguely BIR-like.  As soon as I adopted the idea of a base, all curries thereafter were (a) BIR-like, and (b) infinitely better than any curry I had cooked before.  After years of practice, I can now cook a BIR-like curry without a base, but (a) it takes much longer than with one, and (b) it still requires the knowledge that is most easily gained when cooking /with/ a base to inform the other steps involved.

** Phil.

Well said Phil. (apart from the first line)  ;)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Well said Phil. (apart from the first line)  ;)
Each to their own Frank  ;)
Have a good look throught he base section of the forum.  Plent of feedback on all the popular ones before you take the plunge.  Welcome to the forum

©2024 Curry Recipes