Author Topic: Roast Chicken Vindaloo  (Read 7775 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Roast Chicken Vindaloo
« on: November 10, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Watching Saturday Morning Kitchen yesterday, Atul Kotchhar made a wonderful Roast Chicken Vindaloo which I just had to make today.

Here's the recipe for those that missed the programme and I can tell you, this is absolutely superb. I also made Madhur Jaffrie's Masala Roast Potatoes along with a King Prawn Coconut Curry. The only difference I made to the Roast Chicken Vindaloo, was to Puree the Vindaloo Gravy.

Roast Chicken Vindaloo
Spice up your Sunday roast with marinated chicken and Vindaloo gravy. And don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients: this is a really easy recipe.
Ingredients
For the Vindaloo spice mix
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Roast Chicken Vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Roast chicken vindaloo does sound right up my street, Bob, as one of my favourite dishes is whole chicken piri-piri (Ground chillies, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, ground black pepper).  I shall definitely give this one a go.

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Roast chicken vindaloo does sound right up my street, Bob, as one of my favourite dishes is whole chicken piri-piri (Ground chillies, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, ground black pepper).  I shall definitely give this one a go.

** Phil.

Hi Phil,

If you like Piri Piri Chicken, I posted a recipe for this back in September 2009. Don't know if you have tried this but it is an authentic Portuguese recipe.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,3740.0.html

Kind Regards,

Bob

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Very different to my version, Bob; I shall have to give yours a go.  Mine involves stabbing a whole bird with a sharp knife many many times, inserting slivers of fresh garlic, ginger and chilli, stuffing with onions, capsicum, garlic, ginger and chilli, oiling all over, dredging with the four spices previously mentioned, then basting very regularly until cooked (regular baking absolutely essential).  Potatoes are roast in the same oil, and gravy made with the oil and meat juices.  Out of this world !

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 09:03 PM »
Very different to my version, Bob; I shall have to give yours a go.  Mine involves stabbing a whole bird with a sharp knife many many times, inserting slivers of fresh garlic, ginger and chilli, stuffing with onions, capsicum, garlic, ginger and chilli, oiling all over, dredging with the four spices previously mentioned, then basting very regularly until cooked (regular baking absolutely essential).  Potatoes are roast in the same oil, and gravy made with the oil and meat juices.  Out of this world !

** Phil.

Sounds wonderful, I'll have to give your recipe a go too :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:18 PM »
I'm real hungry and you're not helping Bob  ;D Certainly a different take on roast chicken and roast tatties.  Not sure if i'll get round to trying it anytime soon though as there does seem to be a  fair amount of work involved compared to the normal 15 minuter curry supper  ::)  If i do have a couple of hours to spare one weekend, i'll give it a go.  Will be the only time roast chicken is allowed in the house though.  In my books, the only good chicken is a curried one.  Nothing else will do  ::)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 10:28 PM »
That looks like a great day's work, Bob! A fair amount of effort but the photos look irresistible. The chicken dinner is a masterpiece and I could definitely murder a plateful of those prawns! :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 10:36 PM »
Whilst the prawns are  very cordon bleu and haute cuisine, i prefer mine so i can tuck straight in with no faffing - already peeled.  A bit common I know but what do you expect from an Essex boy  ;D  I don't think any of my fellow dinners would appreciate my popping the whole thing, eyes, head  etc straight into my mouth somehow  ::)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:34 AM »
I'm real hungry and you're not helping Bob  ;D Certainly a different take on roast chicken and roast tatties.  Not sure if i'll get round to trying it anytime soon though as there does seem to be a  fair amount of work involved compared to the normal 15 minuter curry supper  ::)  If i do have a couple of hours to spare one weekend, i'll give it a go.  Will be the only time roast chicken is allowed in the house though.  In my books, the only good chicken is a curried one.  Nothing else will do  ::)

Hi Dave,

It really didn't take that long. The Vindaloo spice mix took about 5 mins max, the gravy took about 10. The rest is marinating time and oven time. On the whole it shouldn't take up more than hour of your time and is well worth the effort :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 10:25 AM »
I don't think any of my fellow dinners would appreciate my popping the whole thing, eyes, head  etc straight into my mouth somehow  ::)
Best suggest they never go to an authentic Chinese restaurant, then.  I routinely pass my heads (etc) to my wife for her to eat!

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes