Author Topic: Pathia mix can and how should it be stored.  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Currynoob

• Chef
    • View Profile
Pathia mix can and how should it be stored.
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:29 PM »
thanks to CA and Chewwy tikka my curry's have been coming along leaps and bounds. finally learning to chance the spices to suite my tastes and needs.

Pathia has always been a favorate dish of mine i plan on using a hybrid of daths and Chewwys base(not because i love starwars honistlly). slightly tweeked CA spice Mix and tandoori massala.

and uncle Bucks Pathia mix

Pathia mix

100 ml hot water
25g coconut block
3 tsp tamarind
2 dsp sugar

Now for the questions i have the Tamarind as a block de shelled and compacted. How would that translate to 3 tsp?? i know i must leave it soak in warm water over night so is it 3tsp of the remaining liquid once the seeds have been removed? or an approximated value of the tamarind pre soaked? or am i a million miles away and should of bought the paste form (bit late for that now btw).

in addition to this only a very small amount of the pathia mix is added to the curry is there a safe suggested way to store the excess mixture? ie sealed jar or frozen and if so what would be the shelf life of such a product.

I do apologize for the amount of questions just everything has been going so well not a single bad curry since i joined. (a friend of mine hairybiker suggested the site to me) I dont want to break the cycle as my confidence in the kitchen has been going from strength to strength.

P.S once again a thank you to everyone who has contributed to this site my self and my extended family really apreciate all the help and recipies (even if i do take a little credit for myself :).

Kind Regards

The CurryNoob 

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pathia mix can and how should it be stored.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:40 AM »
Hi Currynoob,

It's not necessary to soak tamarind block overnight.
Break off a lump, roughly about 1 inch x 3 inch.
Place in a mug and pour 1/5 mug of boiling water over it. Break it all up and stir with a spoon.
Leave to soak for 10-15 mins and strain through a tea strainer into a clean bowl pushing as much of the pulp through as you can.
This should make roughly 3 tablespoons which i think would be the equivalent to 3 teaspoons of concentrate.
(if thats what the recipe calls for?)
You may also need to cut back a little on the 100ml of water in the recipe.

As for the pathia mix, you should have no problem freezing whats leftover into an ice cube tray.

Cheers, Frank.  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:23 AM by DalPuri »

Offline Currynoob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Thank you DalPuri I followed your instructions on how to make up the Tamirind and i made pathia and it was a fantastic success I will do a topic on the outcome shortly
thank you once again :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:33 PM »
You're welcome Currynoob.
Glad to have helped.
(i prefer the flavour of the block over the paste  ;) )

Offline Currynoob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:40 PM »
I think I will stick to using block myself to the flavour was fantastic and the difference between this and my first attempt were very very different.  this one being a very nice meal and the first un edable. thank you once again.

©2024 Curry Recipes