Author Topic: WANTED Turkish Brown rice recipe and information  (Read 1449 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
WANTED Turkish Brown rice recipe and information
« on: November 14, 2013, 12:08 AM »
I've had this two or three times in Turkey a few years ago and loved it.
It seemed to me that in one restaurant, it was called brown rice to distinguish it from plain boiled.

Quite a basic meal of koftas with brown(actually an orange colour) rice and salad. It reminded me of my nans rice she used to make which was a simple recipe with very few ingredients.
Fresh tomatoes
tomato puree
garlic
onion
oil
oxo and salt and pepper.

A turkish friend suggested that it might not have been rice at all.  ??? Im sure it was rice though and not bulgur.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks, Frank.  :)

(off topic) I've been reading through the biryani thread on gourmet india. This made me laugh

Cover the pot tightly & put on a very low flame. Let it cook slowly & try to hear the sound coming from the pot. Once the rice is cooked in the water released by the Yogurt & the meat you will hear the sound of frying & that is the time to turn off the heat & let it cook by it-self.

Please do not laugh if I say that I have an old stethoscope, which I use to hear the sound coming from the pot.

;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:27 AM by DalPuri »

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: WANTED Turkish Brown rice recipe and information
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 12:32 AM »
Hi I live in Marmaris

If as you say it was slightly orange in colour it is without doubt Bulgur cooked normally with a variety of herbs and tomato paste which gives it that distinctive colour.

In fact brown rice as an ingredient is almost impossible to find in Turkey

cheers

Paul

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: WANTED Turkish Brown rice recipe and information
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:38 AM »
Thanks Paul, had another quick search last night with better results than any previous attempts.
Still not convinced that it was bulgur i had but i did find a few recipes to try.
Looks like Domatesli Pilav/pilavi can be made with either rice or bulgur.

http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/turkish-tomato-rice-domatesli-pilav.html#.UoQg7nA-Qns

http://billurdan.mutfaksirlari.com/2012/12/10/kimyonlu-kofte-ve-paprikali-bulgur-pilavi-cumin-meat-balls-and-bulgur-with-paprika/

©2024 Curry Recipes