Author Topic: Curryhell's Samosa recipe  (Read 74650 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Curryhell's Samosa recipe
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Here's my effort.  Trad desi. 75 % lamb. With peas.

Rob  :D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 03:21 PM »
 :o :o So unlike you to settle for "second best" Rob  ;)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 03:46 PM »
:o :o So unlike you to settle for "second best" Rob  ;)

I know Dave; I'm a lazy git.  ;D  These are the best frozen ready-mades in the world though.  Just need to figure out how to get some ajwain in/on the pastry. Any ideas?

Rob  :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 10:48 PM »
Just need to figure out how to get some ajwain in/on the pastry. Any ideas?

Mix ajwain into sealing batter and paint onto the outside of the samosa. Will probably give a nice cripy, bubbly exterior too.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 10:55 PM »
I tried Googling spicy bites samosas and found only one (useless) entry! They look so good I want some, where did you get yours from Rob?

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 10:02 AM »
Ok,  I think perhaps I was suffering a grumpy attack yesterday and felt a bit of frustration over how hard I had found the method. Didn't mean to come across so negative and I have to say I've just enjoyed some of the most delicious samosas for breakfast, straight out of the fridge. I'm having a hard time deciding whether they are better hot or cold.

So... Undaunted and contrary to my somewhat petulant "never again" stance of yesterday I'm going to have another try today with an equal amount of pastry to use up the untouched half of the filling mix left over from yesterday. If I manage to make anything resembling a samosa I will set aside and freeze some uncooked, to test deep frying straight from frozen (which must work as many of the supermarkets sell "cook from frozen" samsosas).

I don't mean to discourage anyone from trying this recipe, in fact give it a go but allow yourself plenty of time so you're not under pressure.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 10:23 AM »
I made some yesterday. I over salted and over ajwained the pastry first time round. I did find them very small and fiddly to make to start with. Substituted the 6 inch plate for an eight inch one, rolled 6 balls of pastry out, and also used a glass the right diameter to hold the pastry funnels while i filled them.

My verdict? They were delish

Would i make them again? Yes
They were fiddly to make to start with but eventually i got the hang of it

Would i tweak anything? Yes. Pinch of salt in the pastry and leave out the ajwain (too much thyme taste - just a personal prefference)

Thanks for taking the time to post the recipe CH

Regards

Mick

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 10:27 AM »
I have to admit, NJ, that I was having serious second thoughts about doing this after reading your experience. So much so that I threw myself into preparing more chicken tikka and JerryM's balti spice mix and balti garam masala instead for the baltification of CBM's Garlic Chilli Chicken Dopiaza.

But I still have everything I need to make CH's samosas, so I'll set aside a couple of hours during the week and give it a bash.

Mmmmmm! Samosas for breakfast! Fairly knocks my porridge into a cocked sporran! :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 11:12 AM »
I tried Googling spicy bites samosas and found only one (useless) entry! They look so good I want some, where did you get yours from Rob?

The shops on Coventry Road in Birmingham sell them Santa.

Their website looks to be suspended though.  Superb samosas (for a ready-made).  My local TA did some with their commercial fryer and they bubbled up a treat.  Going to get some more today before they're all gone.  Think I'll mix-and-match lamb and veg.  They also do sheek kebabs, which can also be a pain-in-the rear to make at home, so I'll try some of those.

Looking forward to making some of CH's over Christmas.  Thanks to him for posting a great recipe/method.  Me and samosa pastry haven't got on too well in the past.  I seem to have two left hands when folding them.  :D  Resorted to these gadgets (Lidl) at one time, they're quite good, but the samosas turn out like Cornish pasties.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 11:27 AM »
Thanks Natterjak and Mickdabass for at least trying the recipe.  Mick, you used the correct size plate.  I have just measured my plate and it is 7 1/2 inches NOT 6 as per the instructions.  I have asked George to correct the post  :-\  Apologies for that. 
I'm very pleased that when you both did eventually get to try the end result, after obvious frustrations and no doubt some choice language whilst trying to assemble and fill the little buggers, you enjoyed the flavour.  At the end of my post i did issue a kind of  a warning  ::)

The first time of making them is the worst.  After two or three attempts you will have developed your method and gotten the hang of it.

I never said it would be easy and i'm glad you're having a second go Chris.  I'm sure it will be easier today, now knowing what to expect.  It does take practice like a lot of things to do with this BIR milarky, but once you've mastered it, like most things i suppose, it is quite easy.
As you say Chris, you need to take your time and not be under any pressure.  That is what prompted my experiment post.  The process from start to finish is lengthy, which is why i wanted to be able to break it down to avoid spending such a long time in the kichen on just samosas.  I am now able to do 3 x 1 hour sessions when it suits rather than a 3 hour marathon  ;D
I remember my first time following Manjula's video which doesn't include the quick dry frying of the cases.  She makes it look so easy.  All i can say is it was like trying to fold a cone made of sopping wet kitchen roll with banana fingers. And when i did manage to get the cone right, the thing started to collapse before my eyes or the filling would burst throught the pastry as i was closing it  :'(  There were times when i nearly sent one or two into orbit or felt like throwing it across the kitchen at the wall  :o :o  But i persevered and cracked it in the end and now enjoy the results.  I really hope people won't be discouraged by their first attempts  ???

Oh, and i always like to eat them cold and never when they have just been cooked  ;D

Nice set of tools there Rob.  I can see them working real well too.  But as you say, the shape isn't quite what we're all used to.  I think i'll carry on using my banana fingers  ;D

And there's nothing wrong with those cooked samosas you pictured Natterjak.  They look scrumy and i'm sure i'd have enjoyed them for breakfast too  :P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:44 AM by curryhell »

©2024 Curry Recipes