Author Topic: Curryhell's Samosa recipe  (Read 74657 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Curryhell's Samosa recipe
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2013, 02:12 PM »
[V]ery industrious of Mick to make his own. It inspired me to go searching and I found these:

Samosa Moulds (2pcs)
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B006320072

Not sure how effective they are and there's no size detailed
It may be worth asking, phrasing your question as a comment, as Begum reviewed them very recently :

Quote from: Begum
Its not too bad but after putting mix in mould you still need to cut around the shapes.i would recommend this product.
** Phil.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2013, 02:14 PM »
...I found these...

I was just about to press the  BUY button when my good lady wife reminded me of all the labour-saving devices we had bought over the years at Ideal Homes shows and the likes. Without exception, they all cluttered the cupboards before being binned or offered to a charity shop.

It was touch and go for a minute, though. I was sorely tempted! :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2013, 02:38 PM »
I was just about to press the  BUY button when my good lady wife reminded me of all the labour-saving devices we had bought over the years at Ideal Homes shows and the likes. Without exception, they all cluttered the cupboards before being binned or offered to a charity shop.

Hmmm.  Dosa maker.  Panini press.  SodaStream.  $n$ liquidisers/blenders/mini-choppers, for large $n$.    You may have a point.  But at least the breadmaker is in use at this very instant, the lassi maker is in use almost every day, and life without the the Kenwood Major would be both unthinkable and unbearable ...

** Phil.

Offline Waterdiddy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2013, 03:55 PM »
Eureka!!

Our local charity shop has a pasta machine in there - a BL@@DY good one too... COMPLETE for 20 quid HE HE!

Add the 3 quid or so for the moulds and I can get PERFECTO samosas every time, thanks to Curryhells recipe and the gadgets!

Can't wait until Monday for the shop to open now, LOL

Here's my first ever batch of samosas - the oil wasnt anywhere near hot enough, so a thermometer is on the cards. Plus, I will get the measures correct now after Crryhells kind help and advice - thanks for that CH

Thanks all - what a great place!  ;D

Bests,

Pete
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:36 PM by Waterdiddy »

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2013, 06:56 PM »
They look excellent Waterdiddy, the sort of thing I like to take to work for my lunch  :D

Cheers,
Ken

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Those are making me very hungry!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2013, 07:24 PM »
I wish my first ever batch of samosas had turned out like that  :-\  Fantastic result WD.  Do you really need the gadgets looking at that production run?  ;D  I'd say you're pretty much there mate.  Re. the oil temp, test it with a  bit of samaosa dough.  The oil is ready  when the dough is dropped into it and immediately makes its way to the top.  Too cold if it sits there and thinks about, too hot if it rockets to the surface, simples  ;)  Or use a bit of poppadum as i do normally. Keep dropping bits in.  Slide half a dozen samosas in as soon as when you drop a bit in, the poppadum expands and cooks. 

Offline Waterdiddy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2013, 08:06 PM »
Aw! - that's nice of you to say so, but I set the bar quite high... The lovely Indian lady who's boys run the local Post Office and her husband, who runs the local TA, makes some ASTOUNDING samosas EVERY morning.

Whenever I pass, I buy 3 meat and 3 veg and they're STILL warm!

I would like to get mine like hers,though I realise she has the edge on me big-time in skills and years of experience ;D

Thanks to your recipe and howto - brilliant pics BTW - I am now on the path - thank you CH... great thread, m8.

Bests

Pete

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2013, 09:17 PM »
I think we all set the bar high WD.  And I know what you mean about the quality of home mades samosas made by someone who's been doing it for years  :P One of the general stores near me has been there since the early 70's.  Mr and Mrs Singh have been producing samosas, onion bhajis, pakora, rotis, chappatis, naans, curries etc, since they've been there - all damn tasty fayre.  I'm quite happy that my onion bhajis are now approaching their standard in taste and texture.  And my samosas are close too  ::) .  I've just got to master the size bit yet on the bhajis ::)
Made some dough this afternoon and boiled some spuds.  I've just rolled 12 discs and have 2 dozen cases wrapped and cooling in an airtight container, ready for filling, sealing and frying tomorrow eve.  50 mins form start to finish, excluding the  washing up though. The dishwasher can do that.  First time of using ordinary veg oil instead of olive oil in the pastry.  The olive oil is definitely lighter in the pastry and less obvious in the texture of the dough.  However the dough turned out good, with pimples, and other than dusting the initail circle in flour on both sides at the start, no further dusting required during the roll out.  Will be interesting to see the how the final results turn out tomorrow eve  ;D

Offline Waterdiddy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2013, 11:44 PM »
Looking forward to the report, mucker!

Sounding very promising so far, I wish you all the best with them of course.

Bests,

Pete

©2024 Curry Recipes