Author Topic: Curryhell's Samosa recipe  (Read 74625 times)

Offline ExpatBride

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curryhell's Samosa recipe
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2014, 07:28 AM »
Thanks for the helpful replies!  I'll try frying in a small pan/wok, and bake a few to see how it goes.  I'll report back if I have any outstanding results to report from the baking. 

Offline ziggycat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2014, 08:38 AM »
I've tried baking them and the results are disappointing.

Stick with frying them if possible

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Hi Guys

Found this the other day and thought it might help those that struggle with the folding etc. It is a cheat I know and its using filo pastry but they look Ok to me if you are having probs etc.

Ed

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2014, 03:50 PM »
It is a cheat I know and its using filo pastry...

Don't be a filo apologist Ed. It's a perfectly legitimate way to make samosas. Personally I've never had a home-made-pastry samosa in a BIR so all this guff about never using filo is just that as far as I'm concerned.

Offline mdigiman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Absolutely fantastic been searching for a samosa recipe, will give it a try im sure I will get frustrated I will try your pastry and I might cheat and use ready made filo pastry lol.

Offline Bhajeegirl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2014, 04:14 AM »
This is a great thread!...just what I've been looking for. A couple of questions though... Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the traditional and a takeaway style filling? ... Also Some recipes add a teaspoon of lemon or lime juice to pastry mix. Anyone know why?
I tried making samosas a couple of times and failed miserably with both the pastry and filling each time with the pastry being too hard and the filling overpowering with spices. Haven't tried Curryhell's recipe yet though....

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2015, 07:04 AM »
Bhajeegirl, try watching this video which has a really clear demonstration of each stage. Starting at around 7:30 in the video she shows how to fill them, which I think is especially helpful.  I think this will help you but I can't answer your specific questions I'm afraid as I don't know:

http://youtu.be/PoNTfvK7B1c

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Had an Indian night for family and friends recently, just wanted to add that I've tried natterjak's updated pastry recipe with some seasoning adjustments.  The main difference is a slight change in the flour amount plus more oil in the dough. 

The samosas turned out perfectly, lots of blistering and crispy pastry.  I should add that I made one other change, and that was using Maida (Indian white flour).  Given it having pastry flour qualities, that may have played a part as well in the great success.

I can definitely call my quest for samosas over - between the filling and the pastry, they outrank ANY I've gotten elsewhere and they freeze beautifully.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2015, 08:45 AM »
The emphasis of this thread appears to be on the pastry wrapping - fair enough - but I decided to try and get the flavour of the filling right, before I spend time on the pastry.

Over the past few weeks, I've made several different recipes for lamb samosa fillings, eating them with rice, as a main meal.  The two best samosas I've ever had served up in a restaurant were (1) on the lawn of a 5 star hotel in North India, and (2) a BIR in Hertfordshire (their main course dishes were lacklustre). I can recall the delicious flavour of those samosas and that's what I seek to recreate at home. Plenty of BIRs serve samosas with a flavour I'd describe as 'quite good' and other BIRs serve up samosas which taste barely adequate. Curryhell's samosa filling recipe would come into the 'barely adequate' category for me. It appears to be based on a recipe from a Pat Chapman book, and I never rated his recipes. Or perhaps CH and PC took their recipes from another source. I know all this is so subjective but that's my take, for what it's worth.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2015, 10:36 AM »
More importantly George did you find any that matched your best samosa filling experience?

©2024 Curry Recipes