Author Topic: Mango Chicken  (Read 39811 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Chicken
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Sure. In the past I've directed a few people to this thread. I have no claim to any reserved rights in relation to the dish.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2019, 08:46 PM »
Thanks. I'm thinking of tinkering with the idea of mango curry but more savoury. I think I'll maybe do it mango curry two ways.

Happy Christmas!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2019, 11:10 PM »
I found this one this morning just doing another of many google searches over the years.  Worth a try but it does appear to have more spices than I'd expect are found in the shop dishes but you never really know till you try.  The photo is very much what you can expect although sometimes it is less orange and more creamy.

https://www.meatandtravel.com/authentic-indian-mango-chicken-curry/

If you look up Australian Indian Restaurants online and then browse the menus you'll see just how popular a dish it is out here.  I have seen it in NZ and Canadian IR menus but there was only 1 that I ever found in UK and as CT said it was called Mango Delight.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 12:30 AM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2020, 12:41 AM »
This post is for a member who has just contacted me by PM after 7 years.

I recently received comment from my family that I'd nailed the Mango Chicken on the last batch I made.  So scroll back up this thread to post # 26 from Chewytikka and his instructional video on how to make Malai Makhoni and add mango pulp.  This was my Eureka moment.

For the most recent and finally successful dish, I used the scaled down version of MarkJ's Base gravy https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=279.150 post # 185.  Ignore the claims that you can't scale it down as you can. 

In the final dish I added extra Kesar Mango pulp, probably double and a good tablespoon sized lump of jaggery.  To pre-cook the chicken I only ever poach in diluted base gravy for this particular dish as it is a mildly spiced dish and sweet.  Not to everybody's liking but it is what it is meant to be.

The dish I linked to immediately above this post looks interesting and had I been able to find something like this 20 years ago it would most certainly have shortened my mission by a huge amount.

Another one that looks interesting to try is this one. 
http://www.cook4one.co.uk/c2/balti/c41baltimango.html 
It doesn't really appear to be the exact dish from out here but it is close to the descriptions sometimes given that the dish is a variation on butter chicken. It certainly provides a platform from which to experiment.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2020, 09:53 AM »
I was able to source some chicken breast fillet today at Aldi. Not much, but more than has been available for a little while.  I decided to do a 3 way taste test.

I've made another reduced quantity of MarkJ's Base Gravy and hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to reproduce the "nailed it" version of the dish from a few weeks ago.

I've also made 1.5 serves each of the other 2 linked recipes.  I'll wait till tomorrow's dinner to pass final judgement but here are my early findings.

The traditional dish is good and will improve by tomorrow, but it is not the Mango Chicken as served in the restaurants and T/A's out here.  I've had to add a small amount of cream to get it to be an even comparable dish for evaluation.  At the end of cooking it was tasty and enjoyable but it will benefit from a rest in the fridge.

The Balti dish is delicious but I already know the response it will get. Too spicy.  Even Secret Santa might give this a try and not gag.  I used Laziza brand Tandoori Masala and Mild Chilli Powder (not Kashmiri but mild) at a little over half the recipes quantity.  This is a really nice curry and the base sauce will not doubt produce a tasty Butter Chicken as well.  This is a very easy method and it is definitely worth exploring.  The only fault I have to place on this is that it is light on chicken.  I'd double the quantity of pre-cooked chicken or half the amount of sauce.  This is certainly a very nice curry and it will be quite easy to adjust the level of spicing to suite any requirement.  I'll be happy to eat it as I've cooked it.  A very nice flavour and just a little bit of lip burn.  Very yummy.

In the end they are 3 very different dishes but all 3 are Mango Chicken.

5 SOAF Naan balls resting in the fridge.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2020, 04:47 PM »
The Balti dish is delicious but I already know the response it will get. Too spicy.  Even Secret Santa might give this a try and not gag.

Oh I dunno though!

By the time the 300mL of tikka sauce containing 2Tbs single cream and the extra 2-3 Tbs of single cream in the recipe itself has been added, it's beginning to edge towards the nauseating end of the spectrum. Although, unlike a korma which really does turn my stomach, the recipe contains no added sugar, so it might pass muster.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2020, 01:28 AM »
The "cook4one" Balti Mango is well worth a try if you like Butter Chicken. The mango is not overly noted and this is actually a very tasty dish sure to be cooked here again.  I used the remaining Balti sauce plus a bit of Base Gravy and some commercial Patak's Butter Chicken paste to make a very nice quick and easy Butter Chicken as well.

The Authentic Indian Mango Chicken is nice, but not what you'd call a restaurant style dish, which is to be expected.

The "nailed it" Mango Chicken using Chewytikka's methods and MarkJ's base gravy was again the favoured dish for the kids (adults now).

SOAF naan worked great on the tawa.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2020, 12:08 AM »
 :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:  I must be dreaming.

Mango Chicken

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2020, 10:52 AM »
I thought I had already cracked it but after last night's dish cook with Syed's Base Gravy and mixed powder my daughter has told me "This is it. This is the best one yet." Say no more.  She ate the whole lot.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2020, 03:31 PM »
 :omg: :clown2: :cry: :angry: :pit:

©2024 Curry Recipes