Author Topic: Spice mixes and duplication.  (Read 1805 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Spice mixes and duplication.
« on: November 16, 2013, 10:43 PM »
An interesting thing about Indian cooking (or any that uses spice mixes really), is the unpredictability of flavour based on variation of ingredients in prepared mixes.  How do we overcome this and is it necessary to even try?

Case in point, 8 Spice Mix found here:- http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,5958.msg58893.html#msg58893

3 of the 8 listed components are in fact mixes.  Mild Madras, Garam Masala and Tandoori.

A quick search for recipes to these 3 mixes readily shows that these are not necessarily the same from place to place, brand to brand etc. In fact they can be considerably different.  It also shows that all three of these blends contain most, if not all, of the other 5 single spice ingredients used in the "8 Spice Mix", also in varying amounts. This gives the cook a very poor control over the actual amounts of the "individual spices" actually going into the dish.

Obviously the best thing to do is to find the most convenient source of your spices and mixes, then adjust your recipes to suite the individual taste.  Does it really make that much difference?  I say it does and a simple "Curried Sausages and Rice" made with a good curry powder Vs one made with an ordinary one will show this out.

Offline Currynoob

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Spice mixes and duplication.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:32 AM »
There are a lot of topic on what you need to make your own tandoori,Garam Masala and various other spices mixes, with regards to giving yourself control there are additional topic on the spices themselves
It takes time and experimentation to find the balance of what you prefer. Using any shop sold "spice mixes" will give you a BIR taste. But as you said yourself "individual taste". i have two mixes i use because the Mrs like a milder aromatic taste, where is I prefer a more Fiery Curry. so mine has additional paprika hot chili powder as appose to the mild i use in heres.
If you want to use shop bought spice mixes make a simple dish and use various mixes to see what works best for yourself. personally after making my first base gravy i added the spices individually to a small amount of gravy to assist me in understanding the flavors of the individual spices you could possible do a similar thing with the spice mixes.

©2024 Curry Recipes