Author Topic: I am no longer alone!  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Hansel

• Chef
    • View Profile
I am no longer alone!
« on: October 13, 2006, 09:54 PM »
Hi Group
Just found this site yesterday and found that all you folks have been experimenting in parallel with the stuff I've been doing (in isolation) for about 15 years now.
First got interested in curry when I was a student in Bradford from 86-90. So many cheap curry houses with very distinctive styles and even an Asian hypermarket with every ingredient you can imagine (by the sackful). These days I have to get buy with a small local Asian grocer.

I have eaten many curries in many different restaurants over the years and whilst many have the same standard taste many are also very unique. The worst curry I ever had was in Bangor in north Wales and I still think the best were in Bradford. I now live near Durham and there are some fine curries to be had in Newcastle. Had a curry in Devon in the summer and have to same it was probably the blandest ever.  I think what I am tring to say is that although most restaurants have 'the taste' a minority do not so I don't think we home cooks do too bad overall.

I first bought Kris Dhillon's book in about 1991 and taking it home I was like a kid on christmas day. Disappointment of course followed but this book by outlining basic principles set me on the road to better and better curries mainly through trial and error. My next book was of course Pat Chapman's indian restaurant cookbook but again the 'holy grail' was not achieved. Some years after this '100 best balti curries followed' Still not there in terms of taste. These days I would rate my standard restaurant curry as 8 out of 10 but of course I still have to achieve 'the taste'. I haven't had a chance to work through many of the threads on the site yet but I can see that there are many tips I can put to good use.
From my own experience I would add/concur with the following:

With spices less is more or should that be more is less. I now use far fewer spices by volume in relation to sauce than I ever did previously with much better results.

I buy whole spices and grind them myself but I am not absolutely convinced this is hugely important for a base sauce.

Stock is very important. I now use proper chicken stock made from the carcass even though its a right pain. This in by opinion makes a huge difference to the final dish.

For my base sauce I use proportionately less tomatoes now and think that this has also helped.

To fry or boil? Initially I used to boil, blend then fry. Then I tryed frying till soft followed by blending. Whats the difference? Frying first gives the sauce a darker colour and I find that the blender makes an emulsion from the oil and water which result in a different texture from your average BIR curry. I have gone back to boiling first as I'm sure this must be how most restaurants do it.

The next base sauce I am going to make (pan's on now actually) will also contain celery and carrot. Thanks for that tip. I will let you all know if it's an improvement.

I have never managed to make decent rice but will be following some of the methods posted in anticipation. I can make a pretty decent chappati and made some cracking naans about a month ago (cooked primarily on a smoking hot tava) although the next batch were nowhere nearly as good.

Probably have waffled on quite enough for an introductory post but will never give up on the search for 'the taste'

Happy cooking!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: I am no longer alone!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 10:41 PM »
Hi Hansel.
Welcome to the Forum & enjoy reading all the millions of threads, if you have any questions ask away as we are a very friendly bunch of completely mad Curryheads  :P ;D.

All the best,
.....DARTHPHALL..... :)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 03:19 AM »
Hi Hansel .

Welcome aboard . It looks as though you are on the right track - experimentation is a good thing ! At the moment I am dry roasting some of my masala ingredients prior to grinding as well as utilizing a tomato broth for some of the base sauces . The results to date appears to be very promising .

CC

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 09:47 AM »
Hi Hansel
Welcome we are a friendly group there are many excellent recipes here please try them and let us know how you get on.
 ;) Layne

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 10:31 AM »
Welcome Hansel.  Yes we are a friendly bunch and humour is appreciated.  You will probably find the finest and friendliest Curryheads here.  Just beware of the Dark Side as you will find some mind blowing stuff there!

Now, that curry house in Bangor.  I went to the onl one ther (a good few years back) with my wife, and it was the most appalling curry we have ever tasted.  We asked a few locals what they thought, 'not bad, could be better' was there reply, but they had never eaten curries before!

Happy Cooking
CP

Offline sardam

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Having being born in Bangor, I'm surprised that the curry houses got such bad press given it's a student town and all.
The one down from the train station on the corner isn't too bad and the one on the hill towards the University is just OK. I have to add though, that I've not frequented these for a few years having moved away but have fond memories of tasting my first curry there in the early 80's, or maybe my memory is playing tricks on me!

©2024 Curry Recipes