Author Topic: hi guys.  (Read 3060 times)

Offline bob3915

• Chef
    • View Profile
hi guys.
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Hi guys, just found this site, looks helpful already, I've just got into cooking my own curries, chicken jalfrezi being my favourite, obviously they seem to vary a lot from takeaway to takeaway and restaurants, I live in Norwich and the jalfrezi I would really like to emulate is the one from saffron in Norwich, any help on this would be very most welcome, cheers, Bob.

Offline unionjack35

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: hi guys.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Hi Bob, We are the Newbie's  ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:54 PM »
welcome Bob.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:52 PM »
Welcome, Bob! I can't help with your favourite takeaway jalfrezi, but I can recommend Haldi's jalfrezi recipe if you fancy trying it out. Just substitute chicken for the prawns if needs be.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Hi Bob,

I'm a big fan of Jalfrezi too (in fact, it's the dish I buy/cook the most.) My favourite restaurant in Cambridge "Meghna", used to make it with a depth of flavour that really made jalfrezi stand out. It was very moreish. It was so good that it was almost sexy. I haven't found a single jalfrezi recipe on this site (or the others) that lives up to this standard. Perhaps in order for us to help you further, you could start by describing what the jalfrezi from Saffron in Norwhich tastes like, post a picture if you have one and what your experience is (i.e what base gravy, is it a tikka jalfrezi, etc)?

Offline Waterdiddy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:53 PM »
Hi m8! Welcome to the site... they're a friendly bunch hereabouts, I hope you enjoy your stay and learn to cook the perfect Jalfrezi for you.

Thing with this place is you CAN and you WILL learn to dial-in those tastes to your own liking!

Bests,

Pete

Offline bob3915

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 06:29 PM »
thanks for your replies guys, Goncalo, I fairly new to curries and I would struggle to give your an accurate describtion of its taste, or I couldn't tell you what the base is, sorry, best I can do is take a picture next time I get it. and Naga, i'll have a look at that one, also I had a good look through the site last night and really like the look of all CAs curries including the base, i'll give that a go next week and let you know my results, cheers again, bob.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:42 PM »
Welcome Bob and Unionjack. We may be able to help you get somewhere in the area.  The last little bit however will come from your own detective work on your local dish and how you translate that in to your own creations.  Nobody said this BIR game was easy, but it does involve some great moments and good food.  Not a bad side affect all said and done ;D

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 12:48 AM »
thanks for your replies guys, Goncalo, I fairly new to curries and I would struggle to give your an accurate describtion of its taste, or I couldn't tell you what the base is, sorry, best I can do is take a picture next time I get it. and Naga, i'll have a look at that one, also I had a good look through the site last night and really like the look of all CAs curries including the base, i'll give that a go next week and let you know my results, cheers again, bob.

No problem Bob. I had a quick look at their takeaway pamphlet and just-eat section. On the just eat they just mention the basic ingredients, but on the pamphlet, the jalfrezi comes after the "naga mirchi"  and is described as "fruity hot with fresh chillies", perhaps they use some mr naga in addition to the chillies? just giving you some possible ideas on where to take your detective work to. Mr. naga is known as being a common addition to the Jalfrezi in several TAs.

©2024 Curry Recipes