Author Topic: Standard measurements  (Read 10556 times)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Standard measurements
« on: October 14, 2006, 11:15 AM »
I notice, now that I have had some time to plough through the site, that there is a lot of controversy on volumetric measures.  Below is the food standards guide.  So perhaps we can now use these measures below in future as our standard.

1    cup = 250 ml       9 fl oz
1/2 cup = 125 ml       4 fl oz
1/3 cup =  80 ml        3 fl oz
1/4 cup =  60 ml        2 fl oz

1 Tablespoon (Tbsp)    = 15 ml
1 Dessertspoon (Dsp)  = 10 ml
1 Teaspoon (Tsp)         = 5 ml

There is no point in using ladles or dollops as measures because of the many variations in size (there are about 30 professional catering sizes alone).  Measuring cups and spoons made in plastic or stainless steel are now available in all food stores and cost very little.

Hope this helps

Happy Cooking
CP

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Standard measurements
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 01:01 PM »
Here's an even better idea. How about we drag ourselves kicking and screaming out of the past, ditch cups, floz etc, and standardise on that nice new metric system. You know, that system we have been using for about 35 years? Unless of course you still have some strange affiliation with the colonies, who for some unknown reason find it difficult to count in multiples of 10.

YF

Offline CurryLover_NZ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I must agree - although not too vehemently - I have made some fantastic meals since my first visit to this web-site. But I do agree that at times it is frustrating when measurements or specifics are left open to interpretation.

Having said that though, it should be kept in mind that this site is viewed internationally and the way measurements are presented can vary. Personally, I don't have a problem with metric or imperial or anything else, just so long as the measurements are provided - most of it can be found on the side of my measuring jug. However, some measurements do leave me guessing:

One tub (what size), a pinch (I can do small or big pinches !), one portion, one bunch etc. Also, the 'heat' of key ingredients like curry or chilli powder, and it would also be very useful to know cooking times and also how many people each recipe serves.     

This last week I made two full batches of Darth's curry base. The first I made with Madras curry powder (all I had at the time) - which made a wonderful base sauce and an incredible madras that me and my son enjoyed enormously. However, it was too spicy for CK's CTM, which is the wife's fave, so I made up another batch, which I have labled as 'mild' for this purpose. My freezer is well-stocked now.  :)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 02:43 PM »
FYI  - some of the colonies have been using the metric system for many , many years !

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 04:22 PM »
AND put that in your Metric Pipe & smoke it  ;D

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 04:56 PM »
Gosh, I never thought this would stir up a hornets nest.  I could say I wish I hadn't bothered (but I wouldn't) :D.  Funny enough, India (one of our past colonies), the West Indies (ditto), Australia, (ditto), America (ditto), oh this is getting boring  ;D, all use cups, spoons, Imperial (thats us babes), and metric, but you nearly always find that cups not ladles of stuff appear everywhere.  I am typing this in a light hearted fashion so as not to upset anyone.  However no one has answered my question, i.e. shall we adopt some sort of standard?  To be hones I am happy with a bit of that and a cup or ladle of this because when i cook my stuff for the business that's all I do (and that goes for the Indian chefs in the BIRs also).  Oh well, off to the pub to fill my cups ;D ::) :-[

CP

Offline johnboy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 05:19 PM »
What's a mug then?

Apart from the thing you drink coffee out of! (ifindforu base has this as a measurement)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 05:52 PM »
A mug is a working class Cup  ;D

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 05:55 PM »
CP - i think we should standardise, i am a complete novice at cooking in general and i am sure that i am not alone. Standardising gives you a starting point to work from. As us beginners have not got the professional flair to just give a pinch of this and a shake of that we need a yard stick. From that adding or taking away from a measurement becomes more memorable and understandable, and something you can write down for future reference, you can record your varience of a recipe, and refer to it at a later date. Perhaps i am wrong ut this makes sense to me.
Keep up the good work CP. ;)

Dai

Offline johnboy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 07:27 PM »
A mug is a working class Cup  ;D

Working class, oh how distasteful.  :o

Now, what measurement is a bleedin mug?  ::)  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes