Author Topic: Standard measurements  (Read 10472 times)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Standard measurements
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 09:14 PM »
Seriously though, if we all just used metric measures we wouldn't have to guess what the author of a recipe means by a mug for example and we wouldn't keep going over this same subject every couple of months.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 10:37 PM »

So say we agree on following guidelines outlined here, how many will adhere to it.
Are we going to start another poll ?

Look at the favorite Curry base poll, see how long its been going, are you telling me out of all our members so few actually do any cooking of a base gravy.
This could make one come to the conclusion that a large percentage of our members are just takers & don't feel inclined to contribute at all who knows. :-\

If this Forum charged a  fee for membership then perhaps there may be a chance of some sort of controls set in place,as people like to have their say especially when they have got to pay for something & perhaps paying members would contribute more to get their monies worth  :D, this is perhaps were this forum may evolve to, who knows.
Bottom line is how do you get everyone to agree.

I will endeavor to give my measurements in plain English.
If i use bags as a measurement thats up to me but i do put down how much is in them, in ml, so if you really cant grasp that simple premise then you shouldn't be allowed to cook on your own.  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 04:19 AM »
Personally, I don't really mind what measuring units are used, provided the recipes are reasonably clearly written and unambiguous. 

As Darth says, establishing a set of standards is one thing, but expecting a multitude of people (from around the world) to comply with the standards is quite another. 

I therefore think we need to be flexible (and not too anal) about it.....so....here's a suggestion:

Allow members to post recipes, using any format and measures they damn well please (or not!), as is currently the case.....but....

....before a recipe is "formally accepted" to a "formal recipe section", a moderator (?) ensures that the recipe conforms to certain basic standards (e.g. is reasonably clearly written and unambigous)?

Perhaps this would necessitate a "two tier" recipe section (i.e. an "informal" section and a "formal" section)?

A key requirement should be that the weights and volumes are clearly, and unambiguously, defined (whatever measuring units are chosen)

The aim should simply to be to ensure that members can replicate the recipe? 

What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:32 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 04:41 AM »
Words well spoken... great idea !  Keep it simple....most members have the intuitive ability of reading betwen the lines and adapting !  :)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Well this has stirred up some comments.  I was only trying to be helpful to the newbies. 

For what its worth, a mug is one and one third cups, or 205ml or 7fl oz. 

I have just measured a few and all are more or less the same volume give or take a drop or two.  Now if Darth could do a similar exercise and give us just one measurement for his 'bag' in cups, imperial, metric, it doesn't matter, we can set up one reference page on this forum that anyone can refer to if they need a particular measurement system.  then everone can carry on with their own thing and we don't have to add anymore complexity to writing or moderating our recipes.  Voila!  I say no more on the subject  ;D

Blissful Cooking
CP

PS I made up a batch of my cracking Madras Beef last night, so I might have some for breakfast! :-\

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 10:52 AM »
Actally Cory ander beat me to it "Anal" is what this site is getting, i don't mind too much though (it amuses me).

Rest assured its all in good humour from this side of the DArkSide of the FoRCe  ;D

I have no intention of measuring cups "WTF" com on Guys, Gals & other Lifeforms, 600ml is 600ml in any Solar system (believe me I've Invaded them all  :D).

I am damned if I'm downgrading all my Star destroyers Kitchens after all the Imperial Credits I've spent, the Universe doesn't just conquer itself you know, someone has to pay for it.
The SITH Counsel have deemed that Milliliters, Tablespoons & Teaspoons are all we will use in the Curry Invasion. ;D

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 11:20 AM »
OK OK thats it I am out of this thread.  Sent my apologies to you Darth on the other thread. 

CP

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 12:11 PM »
NP, its all in good humour as it should be mate  ;D ;D

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 12:47 PM »
I know ;D
CP

Offline Woks Up

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 12:49 PM »
For what its worth, a mug is one and one third cups, or 205ml or 7fl oz. 

I agree that recipes should be as clear as possible.  

I also agree that "cups", "teaspoons", "desertspoons" and "tablespoons" are pretty much universally established measures (as you've defined CP) for cooking.  They also appear in most recipe books.  After all, who's ever seen a recipe that says "add 5ml" of something rather than "add a teaspoon"?  Although the former would be more precise and less ambiguous of course  :P

I also agree that "ladles", "dollops", "bags", "chef's spoon", etc, are so poorly defined as to be almost meaningless (unless defined in the recipe itself of course).

You've got to admit though, it's a bit alarming when one person thinks a ladle of base sauce is about 40ml and another thinks its about 142ml!  :o

But, I do have one question concerning your assessment of the volume of a mug CP :P

If 1 cup = 250ml (9 UK fl oz) and 1 mug = 1 1/3rd of a cup, surely one mug = 333ml (12 UK fl oz)?

Just trying to clarify......or maybe its just be being anal?  ::)

Hmmm....maybe YF is correct, after all, then!  ;)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 01:34 PM by Woks Up »

©2024 Curry Recipes