Author Topic: Standard measurements  (Read 10465 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Standard measurements
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 01:45 PM »
Perhaps.
We should put down some guidelines for everyone to follow in the Forum rules ?
In the godliness we must have some flexibility.

Say for instance me being a stubborn arse.

I'm adamant (no I'm not Adam Ant  ;)) that i will continue refer to putting  Base Gravy or Curry in a freezer Bags, also i will include in the recipe how many Milliliters of Liquid is in the Bag.

INMHO using Tablespoons & Teaspoons is adequate enough, perhaps to help we should refer to heaped or level within these measurements.

Having cooked curries for many years i have found no proof that in the scale i cook that a discrepency of say an extra half a Teaspoon makes any difference to the final dish, if however you are cooking a single portion perhaps it would be prudent to be a little more precise, but anyway i don't think curry Cooking needs to be that precise, I'm no chef so anyone who is may be able to advise us all on the effects of small discrepancies & effects on large & small batches of curry Gravy & the Curries themselves. 
Hope this is of some help peeps  :)

One more thing some of us have got the information from a local Bir, sometimes all we get is a description "Chefs Spoon" or "Ladle" so we just have to adapt that measurement from our own perception which opens whole new 400g Can of chopped Worms with 5% less Fat. ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 01:49 PM by DARTHPHALL »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 03:10 PM »
I totally agree you are, sorry, are not a stubborn arse.  Forums should moderate themselves in the ideal world and will do if we are a little outspoken at times.  It is always difficult to convey humour etc., in this medium, hence the emoticons.  Humour is one of the great spices of our lives.

I said I was outa here but you post says all that needs to be said I think.  I will post the conversion list anyway as a new topic so that newbies et al can refer to if need be.

On your other points Darth, I totally agree also (as professional Cook along with my family who are also professional cooks and Chef) that if you cook large quantities it does not matter one bit if you err either side of a general measurement, as long (and this I see has been said many many times on this Forum) you do not use too much of an ingredient that has a very powerful flavour, e.g. Garam Masala.  For small dishes I would say the same, as you are unlikely to be using large measuring implements.  But what the hell; we got to this wonderful and diverse range of magical recipes because people made mistakes!!! :-*

Anyone who was around when BIRs arrived on the High St in the 60s will surely tell you what a nightmare it was getting them to cook a half decent curry to suit our palates, a lot of them were still in the ex pat curry mode making curries with raisins and fruit and serving them up with dessicated coconut, sultanas, and sliced bananas as side dishes  :P yuch.

You pioneers are doing a great service to the world, and I wouldn't be suprised if a few OBEs were thrown your way ::) (Where do you pin a gong on a Darth suit?)

May the peace be with you
CP

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 04:06 PM »
Sorry Woks Up, I was recovering from afew beers and a very hot Chilli the night before.  You are correct and I have posted a new list for what it is worth ::)

CP

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 10:15 PM »
The only OBE i will get is One Boiled Egg. :'(

©2024 Curry Recipes