Author Topic: Eurostar curry  (Read 5318 times)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Eurostar curry
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:40 PM »
I might get the chance to pop in for a curry when I'm coming back from the U.K after Christmas. I know there aere a few posters from London, but does anyone have any restaurant suggestions for Kings cross/ St Pancras?

I like the missus to get a taste of something good, but must be real BIR, so, no caf?s, new-style cooking or south-indian dhabas.

She's got a much better sense of taste and smell than me, and I want her to get an idea of what I'm after taste wise.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Eurostar curry
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 08:08 PM »
We've had some good curries in Chapel Market, which is easy walking distance from King's Cross, but unfortunately I can't remember the name of the restaurant we used to use.  But if I can interest you and SWMBO in some authentic Vietnamese food, my family have a restaurant there !

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:46 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 12:09 AM »
We've had some good curries in Chapel Market, which is easy walking distance from King's Cross, but unfortunately I can't remember the name of the restaurant we used to use.  But if I can interest you and SWMBO in some authentic Vietnamese food, my family have a restaurant there !

** Phil.

No disrespect but if he's coming from France are not most of the Chinese places over there Vietnamese. I will remember though Phil for the next time I'm down there with the SWMBO but normally comes round to my way of thinking as we usually stop near Kings Cross.  :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 12:18 AM »
No disrespect but if he's coming from France are not most of the Chinese places over there Vietnamese.
They may well be, Gav. When in France I eat French (Indian once, never again) so I don't really know anything about the Oriental restaurants; anyhow, it was only a suggestion !

I will remember though Phil for the next time I'm down there with the SWMBO but normally comes round to my way of thinking as we usually stop near Kings Cross.  :)
Give me a little notice of your next trip; they have taken to opening only some days, and I will want to check in advance that they will be open so you won't have a wasted trip.

** Phil.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 07:38 AM »
Thanks for the offer of a free meal Phil ;) but this is most certainly just a Bir fact finding mission.

And yes, I have no shortage of Vietnamese restaurants.

Offline Exiled Bradfordian

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Hi

There is a curry restaurant very near Kings Cross and S. Pancras stations called Kings Cross Tandoori. Unfortunately, I have never been to it and cannot vouch for its quality.

As a Bradford lad by birth, I am used to curries of a Pakistani, rather than Bangladeshi, origin - most of the 'Indian' restaurants in London are run by people of Bangladeshi origin. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it's essentially a different product to what I'm used to.

I have no idea how long you have to spend in London, but if you have the time, I'd suggest heading east. Forget Brick Lane...I've never been anything other than massively disappointed every time I've visited - and have visited at least ten times.

There are three places I'd recommend.

Tayaab's (nearest tube: Whitechapel)
Lahore - a bit of a pain to get to on public transport -nearish Limehouse DLR (Northen line to Bank, change for DLR, then a reasonable walk)
Zaza's (nearest tube: Whitechapel)

There's no clear winner out of the three - grilled meats (Kebabs,wings, chops) are excellent at Tayaab's with curries arguably sub-par. The opposite's true at Lahore. My personal favourite is Zaza's - also apparently the favourite of controversial Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman - for the closest approximation of a "Bradford Curry" I've found London-wise.

None of these restaurants serve alcohol. Tayaab's and Lahore both let you bring your own (and off-licences are nearby them both). I don't know whether Zaza's does or not - every time I've been there I've settled for their excellent mango lassi and never bothered to ask if we could bring booze.

To get to the east end via the Hammersmith & City line you're looking at north of 30 minutes each way from King's Cross, but well worth it if you have the time, in my opinion.

Cheers!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 10:34 PM »
EB :  Lahore 1, or Lahore 2 ?  We tried Lahore 2 once, never went back, but can't stay away from Lahore 1 for their superb kebabs (I find their curries over-priced, but the kebabs are excellent value).  They also do mango lassi by the jug, about

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I'm not ruling out a underground trip, it just depends on whether the missus decides to buy up the entire contents of Sainsbury's and Tescos while we're back. It's all luggage dependent.

Offline Exiled Bradfordian

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 12:40 AM »
Phil - Lahore 1. I've never been to
Lahore 2. Advantage of Lahore 1 over Tayaab's is that I've never struggled to get a table there.

Lahore, Tayaab's and Zaza's are the only curry places I've got on with in London - I've been disappointed elsewhere even where a restaurant gets excellent reviews. Then again, we're really spoilt for choice in Bradford and I eat little else when I go 'home'.

Funny thing is, despite my wife being a Bradford person too, she prefers Banglaseshi-style curries so we can rarely agree where to go. She likes Spice Inn in Stratford (we live in Bow so Spice Inn and Zaza's are virtually equidistant).

Been disappointed with Brick Lane every visit, had 'ok' curries at plenty enough of places in London - the Halal in Whitechapel, Standard Tandoori in South Hackney, Gaylord Tandoori in Limehouse - all fine but nothing to write home about.

Am digesting the info on this site to try and make my own curries. There's a lot to take in but I'm eager to learn!

Cheers
R

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 10:14 AM »
Phil - Lahore 1. I've never been to Lahore 2.

Now that is interesting, because we have therefore reach diametrically opposite conclusions concerning Lahore 1's cuisine.  You wrote :  "grilled meats (Kebabs,wings, chops) are excellent at Tayaab's with curries arguably sub-par. The opposite's true at Lahore." whereas for me, the kebabs at Lahore 1 are to die for while the curries are over-priced and distinctly average.  Ah well, you can't please all of the people all of the time :)

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes