Author Topic: Wanted Marinade for uncooked chicken  (Read 9145 times)

Offline balloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
Wanted Marinade for uncooked chicken
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:29 PM »
What would you marinade your uncooked chicken in? making Madrass again. cant get the chicken right before i precook it.  :(

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted Marinade for uncooked chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Have you tried cooking it from raw?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 06:13 PM »
I always tikka it. I've never tried the pre-cooked stuff.

Offline balloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:47 PM »
I think i said that wrong. I have raw chicken cubed ready to fry but before i fry i thought i needed to marinate it in lemon or garam masala or chili powder, but not sure what to put over the chicken. The last time i used chili powder sprinkled over the chicken but that was to hot  :-\ lemon seems like the norm but what else.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:56 PM »
I tend to always use Blades recipe.

600g Chicken  - 4 or 5 breasts
2 hpd tbl Pataks tandoori curry paste (the KEY ingredient as it includes lots of tamarind)
1 tsp mint sauce
1 hpd tsp garlic paste / granules
1 tsp ginger paste / powder
2 tbl lemon juice (Jiff is ok)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 dsp spice mixture (equal parts ground coriander, turmeric, garamasala, curry powder). I use this same mix for my curries.
1 lvl tbl methi
1 lvl tsp salt
2 tbl veg oil
2 tbl water

Cut chicken breasts into desired sized chunks and cover with marinade and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Next; after marinating, pre heat oven to highest heat and  skewer the chicken onto skewers or place on a baking tray at the top of the a pre-heated oven. 
turn down to 180 and cook for about 25 minutes, making sure the chicken is cooked thoroughly (break the biggest bit in half to see if it is white all the way through.)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:23 PM »
Old skool Madras isn't usually a dish that's made with tikka, if you like it like that, then why not? But you could just try adding the raw chicken to your cooked down base at the same time you'd add your pre-cooked chicken. You could use tikka, pre-cooked or raw chicken, try, see what you like, just a suggestion.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:52 PM »
What would you marinade your uncooked chicken in? making Madrass again. cant get the chicken right before i precook it.  :(

I can never understand why anyone would want to marinade chicken or any other meat for that matter with ingredients and spices that would not be in the main dish and can possibly taint the final result.

The way I marinade chicken or beef or lamb is a simple mixture of G&G, Spice Mix and a decent curry powder. Mix with oil and a little water and marinade your meat for at least 2-4 hours prior to either cooking or sealing in a pan before cooking through in the final dish.

The meat is good enough to eat on it's own, but adds a depth of flavour to your final dish.

Offline balloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Thats what i needed to know 976bar depth of flavour. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.  :-*

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 10:52 PM »
I don't marinade but I pre-part-cook in oil, stock, Kashmiri masala and turmeric.
** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 12:03 AM »
I can never understand why anyone would want to marinade chicken or any other meat for that matter with ingredients and spices that would not be in the main dish and can possibly taint the final result.

Yoghurt, lemon and salt for brining are three examples. They alter the texture of the poultry or meat in different ways.

Tikka adds even more flavour to an accompanying sauce, in my opinion. Whether you like the difference, is down to personal choice, of course.

©2024 Curry Recipes